Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Upgrading Kernel???

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
jimbo-62

Upgrading Kernel???

#1 Post by jimbo-62 »

OK, I know just enough about compiling kernels to be dangerous. I have compiled a new kernel for a Slackware installation by following a very simple procedure.

1. Download the kernel source from kernel.org and put it in /usr/src.
2. Unpack the tar ball.
3. CD to the new directory.
4. Make menuconfig - set kernel options.
5. make bzImage
6. make modules
7. make modules_install

(Several steps regarding cp and ln -s have not been shown.)

Everything seems to be working perfectly.

But, when I look at Debian procedures for compiling a new kernel, I am confused.

Must I use a Debian source for a new kernel or can I use one from kernel.org?

If I used a kernel from Debian unstable on a Sarge installation, will something break? (I want a kernel version at least 2.6.11.)

Last, is there a way to use my current kernel configuration and make changes to it in make menuconfig rather than starting all over with a stock configuration?

Thanks for any help and insight, jimbo

dfx

#2 Post by dfx »

The procedure you wrote is how I compile my kernels, so you can use it if you like. There's an active thread here that talks about the differences between a vanilla kernel (the one you compile yourself from kernel.org) and the kernel provided by debian.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=1271

As for keeping your current kernel config and using it when compiling a new one, I beleive there's a command called make oldconfig that does just that, but it might require you to have the config file from the current kernel in the same directory you're compiling your new kernel in, but I'm not sure.