Changing virtual terminal resolution

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

Changing virtual terminal resolution

Postby dada78641 » 2017-07-15 10:53

Hi all. I haven't been able to find a solution to this. I followed the instructions here but nothing seems to be different. My virtual terminal resolution is a bit too big, so I'm trying to set it to 640x480 (for now). But nothing seems to change when I make the changes in /etc/default/grub and /etc/grub.d/00_header. (Grub itself is actually in 640x480, and always has been.)

I've also set vga=789 in my grub header to try and set it to 800x600 that way. And that seems to work a little bit, the resolution is smaller during boot but then after GDM loads everything turns to a much higher resolution. So maybe this is due to GDM.

Does anyone know how to change the resolution in the virtual terminal in Debian 9?

edit: image ps, image upload functionality seems to result in an error on this forum.
dada78641

Re: Changing virtual terminal resolution

Postby orythem27 » 2017-07-15 13:51

dada78641 wrote:...but then after GDM loads everything turns to a much higher resolution. So maybe this is due to GDM

The kernel video mode got reset to native resolution after KMS kicked in. To change this, either disable KMS with a kernel parameter 'nomodeset' or force some other modes. See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernel_mode_setting#Forcing_modes_and_EDID

If you chose to disable KMS, I think the correct way to set kernel video mode would then be using the GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX setting. You said you've made it work by setting "vga=789" on the kernel cmdline, I'm a bit confused. IIRC the 'linux' command in GRUB2 no longer support passing this parameter. To use this, you would have to use the 'linux16' command.

dada78641 wrote:(Grub itself is actually in 640x480, and always has been.)

This is controlled by the GRUB_GFXMODE setting, which can be passed to the kernel by setting GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep.
orythem27

Return to System configuration