Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Changing virtual terminal resolution

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
dada78641

Changing virtual terminal resolution

#1 Post by dada78641 »

Hi all. I haven't been able to find a solution to this. I followed the instructions here but nothing seems to be different. My virtual terminal resolution is a bit too big, so I'm trying to set it to 640x480 (for now). But nothing seems to change when I make the changes in /etc/default/grub and /etc/grub.d/00_header. (Grub itself is actually in 640x480, and always has been.)

I've also set vga=789 in my grub header to try and set it to 800x600 that way. And that seems to work a little bit, the resolution is smaller during boot but then after GDM loads everything turns to a much higher resolution. So maybe this is due to GDM.

Does anyone know how to change the resolution in the virtual terminal in Debian 9?

edit: image ps, image upload functionality seems to result in an error on this forum.

orythem27

Re: Changing virtual terminal resolution

#2 Post by orythem27 »

dada78641 wrote:...but then after GDM loads everything turns to a much higher resolution. So maybe this is due to GDM
The kernel video mode got reset to native resolution after KMS kicked in. To change this, either disable KMS with a kernel parameter 'nomodeset' or force some other modes. See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ke ... s_and_EDID

If you chose to disable KMS, I think the correct way to set kernel video mode would then be using the GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX setting. You said you've made it work by setting "vga=789" on the kernel cmdline, I'm a bit confused. IIRC the 'linux' command in GRUB2 no longer support passing this parameter. To use this, you would have to use the 'linux16' command.
dada78641 wrote:(Grub itself is actually in 640x480, and always has been.)
This is controlled by the GRUB_GFXMODE setting, which can be passed to the kernel by setting GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep.