Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Boot fail randomly without "acpi=off"

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
aNewDebianUser

Boot fail randomly without "acpi=off"

#1 Post by aNewDebianUser »

Hello,

I am using Debian Stretch and the boot fail randomly when i do not add the boot option "acpi=off".
It freeze and i have to hard reboot.

However adding "acpi=off" doesn't allow me to use an external display (via HDMI).

I also tried several option like "acpi_osi" and else but none with great sucess.

Would you have a lead about what is going on and how to fix the boot of Debian ?

Thanks

kedaha

Re: Boot fail randomly without "acpi=off"

#2 Post by kedaha »

Hi,
I was interested to read your post as I've sometimes had such issues in the past.
I see you've tried alternative boot options so you've done some searches and have no doubt found that acpi=off is not ideal.
I definitely think you should report this as a bug.
Using the liquorice kernel might be an option until the issue is resolved via reporting the bug.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

aNewDebianUser

#3 Post by aNewDebianUser »

Hi,
I am not sure to know how to report a bug to Debian, As I don't know the package involved, I am now following the processus : mail sent in order to know the "How to".
About Liquorice, i am not sure to understand what it is and how it could help : It seems made to improve performances, but doesn't speak much about fixing bugs. Wouldn't SID be better on that regard ? Isn't supposed to be the most up to date kernel ?
During some more research, I fall on some stuff about DSDT. It seems a good lead : related to ACPI and used to be easily replace even if it is not the case anymore. However I didn't find yet time to find good article about it.
As I am starting with Debian, I don't know if I am missing some steps and would welcome any advise.
Oh and 2 more facts : without the "acpi=off" option using the "lspci" command make crash debian.
And it is also the case when i launch "System information".
I will dig out to give more information about how that happened
Thanks,

aNewDebianUser

#4 Post by aNewDebianUser »

lspci command result :
lspci : debian crash (like during the boot, not always, but often)
lspci -s 00: OK
lspci -s 01: debian crash (like during the boot, not always but often)
lspci -s 02: Ok
lspci -s 03: OK

With the boot option "acpi=off"
lspci : OK
lspci -s 01: OK

And the culprit is :
01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M] (rev a2)
Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M]
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
Memory at de000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
I/O ports at e000
Expansion ROM at df000000 [disabled] [size=512K]
Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 3
Capabilities: [68] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Capabilities: [78] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
Kernel modules: nvidia
Last edited by aNewDebianUser on 2017-07-26 22:45, edited 1 time in total.

dasein

#5 Post by dasein »

aNewDebianUser wrote:Wouldn't SID be better on that regard ?
No

Sid in the unstable development branch of Debian, not at all suitable for novices.

You might want to consider switching to a more "newbie-friendly" distro. Most Debian users started that way.

aNewDebianUser

#6 Post by aNewDebianUser »

dasein wrote:You might want to consider switching to a more "newbie-friendly" distro.
I used to consider that. Around February, I tried like 7 of them in severals versions with no success, sometimes to use the liveCD, sometimes to boot them after the installation.
At that time, Jessie was the Debian stable one. But Jessie didn't boot while Stretch did.
I still don't know what Stretch have which doesn't cause a stall on CPU when I boot it and that the others distributions lacks, tho.

aNewDebianUser

#7 Post by aNewDebianUser »

kedaha wrote:Using the liquorice kernel might be an option until the issue is resolved
I did try it today : it gives me the same behavior that with the boot option "acpi=off" :
- External screen doesn't work anymore via HDMI
- It triggers a message in cinnamon which says that it runs in software rendering mode (support mode, not normal mode)
(with nomodeset boot option and nouveau driver blacklisted. Without any boot option, it did freeze on a black screen)