Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Recovering data from overwritten Raid 5 array?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
r_4_20

Recovering data from overwritten Raid 5 array?

#1 Post by r_4_20 »

I have done something very stupid. I upgraded to Debian 9 and was having issues getting X to work. After tons of troubleshooting, I saw that one of my raid devices was showing as an invalid block size. I failed it from the array and removed it. I partitioned it and added it back into the raid array.

After a reboot, grub was unable to boot. I burned a Debian 9 live CD and booted into it. I wanted to run grub-install but it could not find a valid root (/). My raid array wasn't showing but all my hard drives were so I built the raid from the correct partitions. The Debian 9 rescue went on to write the changes to the partition table and started to install a new base system.

After that, I booted into the system and all my files are now gone. I've installed TestDisk and tried running it on each hard drive and on the /dev/md0 device but I cannot find my deleted files.

Because of how long TestDisk has taken, the resync of the raid 5 array has completed which I am now reading may have actually overwritten all my old data.

Is all hope lost? Are all my files gone? Any help is greatly appreciated!

GarryRicketson

Re: Recovering data from overwritten Raid 5 array?

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

Use the backup you made before starting to do this.
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ ... ng.en.html
4.1.1. Back up any data or configuration information

Before upgrading your system, it is strongly recommended that you make a full backup, or at least back up any data or configuration information you can't afford to lose. The upgrade tools and process are quite reliable, but a hardware failure in the middle of an upgrade could result in a severely damaged system.

The main things you'll want to back up are the contents of /etc, /var/lib/dpkg, /var/lib/apt/extended_states and the output of dpkg --get-selections "*" (the quotes are important). If you use aptitude to manage packages on your system, you will also want to back up /var/lib/aptitude/pkgstates.

r_4_20

#3 Post by r_4_20 »

Unfortunately I did not make a backup. Like I said, I did something really stupid.

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

Step 1. Swipe-and-right-click your thread title

Step 2. Select "Search <search engine name> for 'Recovering data...'"

Step 3. Pray
r_4_20 wrote:Unfortunately I did not make a backup. Like I said, I did something really stupid.
You did several somethings really stupid, starting with implementing RAID 5 simply because is sounded so l33t and kewl. The actual point of RAID is data protection, just like, y'know, backups.

Good luck.

r_4_20

#5 Post by r_4_20 »

Hmm I've done a lot of searching on this problem already. That's why I decided finally to just post myself. I was hoping to get some new help. I'm going to try SystemRescueCD tonight. I've already tried a couple Linux Live CD's that are designed for data recovery. Fingers crossed.