Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I can not run Debian

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
linuxquest

I can not run Debian

#1 Post by linuxquest »

I wanted to install Debian 9. After the installation when trying to start, the system displays a field for entering the password to decrypt the drive.
Enter the password and shows "Failed to connect to lvmetad Falliing back to device scaning" what can I do to run Debian?
Perhaps the fault of the BIOS settings?

Bulkley

Re: I can not run Debian

#2 Post by Bulkley »

Who encrypted the drive? How?

linuxquest

#3 Post by linuxquest »

I did it during the installation of Debian

kopper

#4 Post by kopper »

linuxquest wrote: "Failed to connect to lvmetad Falliing back to device scaning"
I get that error message with functional encrypted drives. To my knowledge it's benign and does not prevent you from using the drive. If there's no other error message (which I doubt), only reason I can think of is wrong password. If possible, provide other error messages present during boot. And provide accurate errors messages.

Also, have you tried anything else than asking this in forums? Have you tried your password in US keyboard layout? For some weird reason I've had problems in the past with fresh install not having the keyboard layout I set during install. Worth a shot. Have you tried reinstall?
Debian 12 Stable with sway
Secure your stuff: Securing Debian Manual
Don't break your stuff: Source List Management DontBreakDebian

linuxquest

#5 Post by linuxquest »

So I tried installing without encryption and it does not work on this computer

kedaha

#6 Post by kedaha »

Yes, there does indeed appear to be a problem; I read your post and then looked around and came across: lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2017/05/msg00020.html, which makes interesting reading.
What computer is it? Have you run another linux system, like Debian 8, on it before?
Are you able to select the single user mode in the grub menu and login from there?
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

RU55EL

#7 Post by RU55EL »

linuxquest wrote:So I tried installing without encryption and it does not work on this computer
Could you elaborate a little? What computer hardware? Which version of Debian? What method did you use to attempt the installation? What exactly do you mean when you say "... it does not work on this computer."?