Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 9 Recompiling Kernel to 1000HZ

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
filip212

Debian 9 Recompiling Kernel to 1000HZ

#1 Post by filip212 »

Hello,
I need to recompile my kernel on Debian 9 to 1000HZ. I tried this tutorial http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=36525 but i have problem. When i try

Code: Select all

apt-get install kernel-package
result is

E: Package 'kernel-package' has no installation candidate

filip212

Re: Debian 9 Recompiling Kernel to 1000HZ

#2 Post by filip212 »

I have VPS Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v4 @ 2.20GHz, 4 cores and 12GB RAM.
I need do gameserver counter-strike 1,6 and need 1000FPS stable. Because now is settings in kernel to 250HZ i cant have. On server developers forum they write i need recompile kernel to 1000HZ to get 1000FPS stable server...

I need do this option at recompiling kernel...
# Processor type and features -> Timer frequency -> change to 1000HZ -> Exit -> Exit -> Yes (Save)

filip212

#3 Post by filip212 »

i already tried real time kernel and Liquorix Kernel on this kernels i have more fps but are still unstable and i need stable for this i need to recompile my own kernel... With this kernels no problem have to run VPS. I think there will be no problems. Only dont know how i can recompile it on debian 9

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

@OP: I notice you've been spamming multiple forums all over the 'Net.

Oddly, you seem not to have implemented several suggestions that you've received in other venues.

If you're going to keep spamming random forums with a question that you don't even understand, then you need to start documenting exactly what you've already tried, along with the exact result(s) for each and every thing you tried, and then providing that information in each new venue where you post.

Hint: "And nothing" is not an exact result. "Didn't work" isn't either.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

i fear you may be suffering from a common misconception about "unstable", because Liquorix uses that in its changelog file. Are you just going by this, or have you actually tried it and found problems with it?

Debian provides built-in tools that you can use to rebuild any package in the repos, and there are many tutorials for doing that. I will let you find them as part of a learning experience instead of spoon feeding you the answers.

Hints: they would involve the "deb-src" lines in your sources, "apt-get source linux-image-$(uname -r)", "apt-get build" and so on. The 1000Hz kernel context switch setting can be accomplished by editing /debian/config/config, currently starting at line 5949:

##
## file: kernel/Kconfig.hz
##
## choice: Timer frequency
# CONFIG_HZ_100 is not set
CONFIG_HZ_250=y
# CONFIG_HZ_300 is not set
# CONFIG_HZ_1000 is not set
## end choice
It's rather obvious to me what you need to change, but ask if you're not sure.

You probably just want a small increment at the end of the version for your new or modified stanza in the debian/changelog file, so that the next Debian security update will want to upgrade over your modified kernel, and alert you that you need to repeat the procedure with the updated source, so that you can keep up with the security fixes. The current version ends with "deb9u3", so just make it "deb9u3+1000hz" or something. Then "deb9u4" will still upgrade over it. If you want to prevent any upgrades, add or increment an "epoch" to the beginning of the version, as in version "1:4.9.30-2+deb9u3". This means it's up to you to watch for any Debian security updates.

Note that a Debian kernel package rebuild takes several times as long as a generic or Liquorix kernel rebuild, mostly because of the creation of the docs package. Also allow about 20 GB of free space on the drive for the build procedure.

Once you've done this, maybe you could try building and hosting your modified kernel on the openSUSE build service, which can build Debian packages from the source and automatically set up a repository for them. Besides doing all the work of building the kernel for you, this will also allow you to share it with others.

Edit: just saw dasein's response--has anyone else suggested the built-in tools?
MX Linux packager and developer

filip212

#6 Post by filip212 »

Im not spamming i asked only here and on server developers forum... Thank you for help i will try and response about result... I think more heads better result... Because they told me i dont need rebuild kernel i need only Grab the process's pid. Then execute the following commands.
chrt -r -p -99 (pid of the process)
renice -19 (pid of the process)

I cant use chrt -r -p -99 (pid of the process) i can use chrt -r -p 99 (pid of the process) and renice -19 (pid of the process) i think he mean renice 19 (pid of the process).
Reason why i still finding recompiling kernel is its not work 100%. After that are fps on server better but still have drops...
With grabbing pids is too problem i must search and using pids of 10 processes and if i will have more servers and other peoples will have permissions to restart start stop it will be problem...

I use this script to start restart stop server... And its run 10 processes... all pids i must manually find and do... Try imagine when i will have 10 or 30 servers... Its unreal to do...

#! /bin/sh

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          cs16jailbreak
# Required-Start:    start
# Required-Stop:     stop
# Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop:      0 1 6
# Short-Description: CS 1.6 JB
# Description:       Counter Strike 1.6 Jailbreak
### END INIT INFO

# The user that will run the server
CS_USER=jailbreak

# Leave this alone.
NAME=cs16jailbreak

PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin

# DON'T FORGET TO CHANGE THE PATH TO YOUR NEEDS!
DIR=/home/jailbreak/Steam/steamapps/common/Half-Life/

# Leave this alone.
DAEMON=hlds_run

# Internet-server:
PARAMS="-game cstrike -pingboost 2 +sv_lan 0 +ip 173.212.243.187 +port 27016 +maxplayers 24 +map de_dust2 +log on -master +mp_logecho 1 -secure -autoupdate &"

# Leave this alone.
DESC="Counter-Strike JailBreak Server"

. /lib/lsb/init-functions

server_start()
{
    log_daemon_msg "Starting $DESC: $NAME"
    if su $CS_USER -l -c "screen -ls" | grep $NAME; 
    then
       log_failure_msg "$DESC: $NAME is already running!"
       exit 1
    else 
       su $CS_USER -c "cd $DIR; screen -m -d -S $NAME ./$DAEMON $PARAMS"
       log_end_msg $?
    fi
}

server_stop()
{
    log_daemon_msg "Stopping $DESC: $NAME"
    then
       kill `su $CS_USER -l -c "screen -ls" | grep $NAME | awk -F . '{print $1}'|awk '{print $1}'`
       log_end_msg $?
    else
       log_failure_msg "Coulnd't find a running $DESC"
       exit 1
    fi
}

server_status()
{
    then
        log_success_msg "$DESC: $NAME is UP"
        exit 0
    else
        log_failure_msg "$DESC: $NAME is DOWN"
        exit 1
    fi
}
case "$1" in
 start)
    server_start
    ;;
 stop)
    server_stop
    ;;
 restart)
    server_stop
    sleep 1
    server_start
    ;;
 status)
    server_status
    ;; 
 *)
    echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|status|restart}"
    exit 1
    ;;
esac

exit 0 

dasein

#7 Post by dasein »

I guess I should have mentioned that "can't use" is also not specific.

Here's the bottom line: there is a finite number of solutions to any given problem. You claim you've tried them all. Supposedly, none of them works, which means that one of two things is true:

- You aren't applying the fixes correctly (by far the most likely)

- Your problem isn't solvable.

Pick whichever explanation you like.