Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Multi-GPU BOINC PC

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
schmidtbag

Multi-GPU BOINC PC

#1 Post by schmidtbag »

I'm putting together a PC dedicated for BOINC. For the most part, this PC will be running headless, and will only be accessed by a GUI for maintenance. This PC involves 4x GPUs, both AMD and Nvidia; only one of the AMD GPUs will be connected to a display, so, none of the others will have any use for graphics acceleration.

So here's what I'm wondering:
1. As of writing, closed-source drivers offer the best GPGPU performance. I intend to install fglrx, but I'm wary of the Nvidia drivers, since they have a tendency to meddle with libgl - that's not ideal when I have an AMD GPU for display purposes. From what I heard, you can install fglrx after nvidia-driver to work around the libgl issue, but that could be a real burden during updates. The boinc-nvidia-cuda package wants to install glx-diversions, which I suspect is something I don't want. If I were to get the drivers directly from Nvidia, you can install them with "--no-opengl-files", but I would much rather install the drivers from the package manager for ease of maintenance. Any suggestions?
2. Would I only need to configure xorg.conf for the display GPU, or will BOINC be able to utilize the other GPUs?
3. I intend each GPU to handle a different workload. Using gpugrid will be easy, since that depends on CUDA (so the AMD cards won't use it) but I want the AMD cards to run different tasks too, such as seti, einstein, and milkyway. Though it seems this should be possible, there's not enough documentation on this, so I don't know for sure how to go about it.