Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Prosody / Jessie

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
c64whiz

Prosody / Jessie

#1 Post by c64whiz »

So yes, I've been at this for a while and the most basic configuration doesn't seem to be working. With "Prosody" being touted as one of the best XMPP servers, it's very irritating to not even be able to connect with the basics.

I'm using Jessie's Prosody (not the latest from Prosody.im) and all the supporting packages. I've turned off my attempts at Cyrus Sasl to authentication via "internal_plain". I used 'prosodyctl' to register a user with a password of 'password' and can see the config file in /var/lib/prosody verifying the creation went just fine.

I installed Jessie's Pidgin IM tool (no additional anything) and connected to the Prosody server. With Prosody logging everything ('debug'), I get (from prosody.log):

Code: Select all

Aug 13 16:21:27 socket  debug   server.lua: accepted new client connection from 192.168.1.200:52620 to 5222
Aug 13 16:21:27 c2s1aab020      info    Client connected
Aug 13 16:21:27 c2s1aab020      debug   Client sent opening <stream:stream> to tech.net
Aug 13 16:21:27 c2s1aab020      debug   Sent reply <stream:stream> to client
Aug 13 16:21:27 c2s1aab020      debug   Received[c2s_unauthed]: <starttls xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-tls'>
Aug 13 16:21:27 socket  debug   server.lua: we need to do tls, but delaying until send buffer empty
Aug 13 16:21:27 c2s1aab020      debug   TLS negotiation started for c2s_unauthed...
Aug 13 16:21:27 socket  debug   server.lua: attempting to start tls on tcp{client}: 0x1aa8588
Aug 13 16:21:27 socket  debug   server.lua: ssl handshake done
Aug 13 16:21:27 c2s1aab020      debug   Client sent opening <stream:stream> to tech.net
Aug 13 16:21:27 c2s1aab020      debug   Sent reply <stream:stream> to client
Pidgin prompts for a password, I enter and then I get the following rest of the log:

Aug 13 16:43:06 c2s1aab020      debug   Received[c2s_unauthed]: <iq id='purple85a393aa' type='get'>
Aug 13 16:43:06 stanzarouter    debug   Unhandled c2s_unauthed stanza: iq; xmlns=jabber:iq:auth
Aug 13 16:43:06 c2s1aab020      debug   Received </stream:stream>
Aug 13 16:43:06 c2s1aab020      info    c2s stream for <192.168.1.200> closed: session closed
Aug 13 16:43:06 c2s1aab020      debug   Destroying session for (unknown) ((unknown)@tech.net)
Aug 13 16:43:06 c2s1aab020      info    Client disconnected: connection closed
Aug 13 16:43:06 c2s1aab020      debug   Destroying session for (unknown) ((unknown)@(unknown))
Aug 13 16:43:06 socket  debug   server.lua: closed client handler and removed socket from list
I *do* have TLS enabled abut as you can see, there doesn't seem to be any errors concerning that. The ONLY thing I made specific to my virtual host is the SSL certificates. The rest of the config is all in the global config file and most of it is Debian default.

I have no idea what the stanza error means and have only found a "bug" from 2014 that has allegedly been fixed.

See below for my conf file. I have no idea at this point and am ready to ditch the all wonderful Prosody and go back to Jabber2.

--C64

# /etc/prosody/prosody.cfg.lua

admins = { }
interfaces = { "*" }
modules_enabled = {
                "roster"; -- Allow users to have a roster. Recommended ;)
                "tls"; -- Add support for secure TLS on c2s/s2s connections
                "disco"; -- Service discovery
                "private"; -- Private XML storage (for room bookmarks, etc.)
                "vcard"; -- Allow users to set vCards
                "version"; -- Replies to server version requests
                "uptime"; -- Report how long server has been running
                "time"; -- Let others know the time here on this server
                "ping"; -- Replies to XMPP pings with pongs
                "pep"; -- Enables users to publish their mood, activity, playing music and more
                "register"; -- Allow users to register on this server using a client and change passwords
                "posix"; -- POSIX functionality, sends server to background, enables syslog, etc.
};
modules_disabled = {
         "s2s"; -- Handle server-to-server connections
};
allow_registration = false;
daemonize = true;
pidfile = "/var/run/prosody/prosody.pid";
c2s_require_encryption = true
s2s_secure_auth = false
authentication = "internal_plain"
log = {
        debug = "/var/log/prosody/prosody.log";