Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Solved: System Colors Used in Firefox

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
bentHnau

Solved: System Colors Used in Firefox

#1 Post by bentHnau »

I'm using the latest version of Firefox (54.0.1) and the browser colors are set to "use system colors." I like the background color (which is not an option in Firefox's selection of colors), but I want to change the font color.

What are the system settings that Firefox uses to select these colors? I assumed "system colors" had something to do with the theme I selected from my DE (XFCE) options, but changing the theme doesn't seem to affect the system colors.

I tried changing colors with userContent.css, but it doesn't seem to work—the font color I put in the file seems to be applied randomly and only when I have "use system colors" checked, and the page background color is ignored.
Last edited by bentHnau on 2017-08-16 22:34, edited 1 time in total.

debiman

Re: System Colors Used in Firefox

#2 Post by debiman »

so in other words, you tried, and were 50% succesful?
you are on the right way.
gtk theme colors are usually applied to the user interface (what is around the actual web page) and somedropdown menus and such.
web site (and also empty tab etc) style can be influenced by some *.css files, yes.
this has been asked gazillions of times by windows, mac and linux users, the web is bursting with resources on this topic.
addons exist to make it easier if you don't like writing your own css.
etc. etc.
all i'll say is that many css rules require a "!important" appended.

dasein

#3 Post by dasein »

debiman wrote:so in other words, you tried, and were 50% succesful?
you are on the right way.
[snip]
all i'll say is that many css rules require a "!important" appended.
In this case, "many" translates into "required whenever one wants to have a particular .css attribute override other settings"

bentHnau

#4 Post by bentHnau »

I used the !important flag for every CSS rule in userContent.css.

bentHnau

#5 Post by bentHnau »

I figured it out. Applying styles to the whole web page requires the * tag, e.g.,

* {
background-color: #232323 !important;
}