Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Unable to build current nvidia-driver for Stretch

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
MH

[SOLVED] Unable to build current nvidia-driver for Stretch

#1 Post by MH »

I recently attempted to upgrade my HTPC video card to a Nvidia GT 710. After installing the card, I booted into rescue mode, purged my old nvidia-legacy driver and installed the current nvidia-driver from Debian Stretch. During the module building process the system hung. I checked top and saw the cc1 process was fluctuating between 40-100% CPU utilization (4-cores). I waited maybe 10 minutes to see if it would finish. It did not.

I rebooted the machine and re-entered rescue mode. I tried using module-assistant to build the nvidia module to see if it would detect a problem. No problems indicated, the build process appeared to go normally, but then module-assistant hung at 75% completion during stage 2 of the build.

In both cases, rebooting into graphical mode left me with a black screen and no cursor. Sometimes the keyboard was functional, sometimes not.

I decided to try the nouveau driver, so I rebooted, re-entered rescue mode, purged the nvidia packages (apt purge nvidia. ) then reinstalled xserver-org and xserver-org-nvidia per the instructions I found on the Debian website.

Upon rebooting the machine I was left at a root prompt in console with tiny fonts, almost unreadable (4k TV).

At that point I gave up. I removed the GT 710, reinstalled my old card (9400 GT) and the appropriate nvidia-legacy driver. I now have a functional HTPC, but a video card I cannot use. The GT 710 is listed as a supported card with the proprietary drivers available from Debian. I have no idea what the problem is.

Does anyone have any idea why Stretch has no problem building nvidia-legacy but fails with the current (Debian non-free repository) nvidia-driver?
Last edited by MH on 2017-08-22 04:26, edited 1 time in total.
DOS > Windows > Corel > RH > Libranet > Xandros > SuSE > Debian:KDE

"It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere." --Voltaire

MH

Re: Unable to build current nvidia-driver for Stretch

#2 Post by MH »

It seems dkms takes MUCH longer to compile the current nvidia-driver vs the legacy driver. The latter took less than a minute, the former maybe 5 minutes. That's with a 2.5GHz 4-core cpu. Aside from the time difference, dkms hangs at 96-97% for several minutes before finally completing the build. Module assistant did the same thing, albeit at around 75%. Hence my belief the build process was hung.

Anyway, my new card is now working. I will have to start a new thread regarding sddm, however. All I get is a black screen where there should be a login prompt.
DOS > Windows > Corel > RH > Libranet > Xandros > SuSE > Debian:KDE

"It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere." --Voltaire