Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Help to resolve or quiet boot up messages

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
RationalOrder

Help to resolve or quiet boot up messages

#1 Post by RationalOrder »

Hello Debian forums!

After a long series of distro hopping I'm happy to say I think I have found an OS to stick with through Debian 9 Stretch XFCE. Everything is going smoothly, except for one small nuisance. From the very beginning at bootup, I was displayed some messages (not sure if errors or not). The messages are as follows: [9.074653] tpm_crb MSFT0101:00: can't request region for resource [mem 0xfed40080-0xfed40fff], [11.144323] iwlwifi 0000:02:00.0: firmware: failed to load iwlwifi-765D-26.ucode (-2), and 3 more iwlwifi errors same as the previous except for -23, 24, and 25 after the 7265D. These messages don't seem to indicate anything serious as my wifi and my machine are functioning just fine, but the messages are still annoying. I installed plymouth with the solar theme to try to mask this (and just for a nicer looking bootup) but as the screen shows for a second it then bugs up and those blasted messages show. Is there any way to resolve these messages so they don't appear, or at the very least quiet them so then they don't appear and my plymouth screen is clear and not tampered with? Thanks in advance.

cronoik

Re: Help to resolve or quiet boot up messages

#2 Post by cronoik »

Things you could try:
1. Set 'ShowStatus' to 'no' in /etc/systemd/systemd.conf
2. Add 'quiet' to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub and rebuild your grub config with grub-mkconfig

...and use code tags next time.
Have a nice day!

cpoakes

#3 Post by cpoakes »

cronoik wrote:...
2. Add 'quiet' to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub and rebuild your grub config with grub-mkconfig
Even less output? Add 'quiet loglevel=0' to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT.

kedaha

#4 Post by kedaha »

Hi,
Well, if you install the firmware-iwlwifi package, which is binary firmware for Intel Wireless cards package from the nonfree repository, then the "blasted" messages will cease to bug you. :wink:
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

RationalOrder

#5 Post by RationalOrder »

Thanks for the replies everyone. Cronoik I actually have quiet already in my grub configuration file. I did try your idea of setting showstatus to no in the system.conf file and it doesn't seem to have had any effect. And sorry about not using code tags. Cpoakes interesting alternative. However, still no effect. And Kedaha, in hindsight I realize I have left out some important backstory behind all this. I have to admit I posted this topic in a hurry and wasn't thinking as much as I should have :roll: . I actually do have the iwilwifi package installed because I installed Debian via the nonfree iso on USB. At the time of installing I remember the graphical install program scanned for network hardware and information and it did display that I was "missing" those very iwlwifi packages (7265D 23, 24, 25, 26). I did click onward to continue the install since I didn't know what to do since I was already using the nonfree iso and figured it should already have the needed packages on there, and the install continued without another prompt or mention of the issue. So I suppose that should be common sense to think then of course it will come back again, but, I checked and the firmware-iwlwifi package is indeed installed on my computer and according to apt it is the latest version. So if it is the latest version and those packages aren't included in that package, it makes me wonder if they even exist and perhaps the kernel is looking for firmware that doesn't exist or once existed but no longer does. As for the MSFT can't request region for resource message, I have had that message come up on almost every distro I have ever used that isn't Ubuntu based, and I am going to take a wild guess here and say that isn't because of Ubuntu having better compatibility but rather they just hide those messages at bootup somehow. Which brings us back to here. And just to state my hardware setup, I am using an ASUS ROG G752VL laptop with 12 gigs of RAM, uses an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M graphics card and an Intel i7 CPU. Thanks again for the replies everyone I appreciate the help.