Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to keep stretch awake - power managment

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
djk44883

How to keep stretch awake - power managment

#1 Post by djk44883 »

I recently upgraded my media system from linux mint 17.3 with a fresh install of debian 9. It felt great to be back to pure debain again until suddenly, it would stop while streaming shows. I'd tap the keyboard and it would come right back. When I turn on the tv (monitor) it's "off" until I tap the keyboard. Which ever power state Sx - it doesn't power-down. I have OTA tv tuner cards and use me-tv to record programs, shows get recorded. I use it to share files so I can watch show on other systems - file sharing works (no, this doesn't seem to otherwise wake the system up).
However if I'm streaming a show from hulu via firefox and have no interaction with the system for 10 minutes it stops, not just the blank screen audio as well.

I've issues these commands

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl mask sleep.target suspend.target hibernate.target hybrid-sleep.target
didn't accomplish anything.
here's some info from dconf (I think it only shows entries changed from default.)

dj@htpc:~$ dconf dump /org/mate/power-manager/
[/]
button-power='interactive'
button-lid-ac='suspend'
idle-dim-time=0
lock-use-screensaver=false
lock-suspend=false
button-hibernate='nothing'
button-suspend='nothing'
lock-blank-screen=false
dpms-method-ac='off'
check-type-cpu=true
lock-hibernate=false
sleep-display-ac=0
action-sleep-type-ac='nothing'
icon-policy='never'
and I've attached a screen shot of my mate managment preferences
Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.
How can I keep my system completely on full-time without any interaction?

Bulkley

Re: How to keep stretch awake - power managment

#2 Post by Bulkley »

We have an old laptop that we watch TV shows on. The power saver functions drove us nuts. I found three or four places that had to be checked and that wasn't enough. There is some sort of deep Linux instruction that was over-riding all the others. After an awful lot of searching I did find it and neutered it completely; that machine no longer blacks out. The sad news for you is that I can't remember what that instruction is so unless someone else here knows what it is you will have to use your search engine.

HuangLao

#3 Post by HuangLao »

LMAO bulkley....

@djk, what DE are you using?

djk44883

#4 Post by djk44883 »

[quote="HuangLao"
@djk, what DE are you using?[/quote]

MATE 1.16.2

I have searched which is how I came across the systemctl mask command, which appears to create links for these commands to null. So it seems ridiculous why this occurs. Not sure what is actually happening or how to monitor for it.

Segfault

#5 Post by Segfault »

xset s off ; xset -dpms
In old times this would do. I have no clue if it works with Wayland.

djk44883

#6 Post by djk44883 »

Segfault wrote:

xset s off ; xset -dpms
In old times this would do. I have no clue if it works with Wayland.
Although these appear specific to display, video / audio stop playing, it's not going to break anything to set them. Screensaver had been disabled via mate settings/session, now x user preferences as well, I guess.

setx q
DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 0    Suspend: 0    Off: 0
  DPMS is Disabled

Thorny

#7 Post by Thorny »

djk44883 wrote:I recently upgraded my media system from linux mint 17.3 with a fresh install of debian 9. It felt great to be back to pure debain again until suddenly, it would stop while streaming shows.
I am not sure if it would help in your use case but there is a package in Stretch called caffeine, maybe it could do what you want.