Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Windoze's latest updates Kills Grub boot (Self Solve)

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
gordon24186

Windoze's latest updates Kills Grub boot (Self Solve)

#1 Post by gordon24186 »

Well, I went to update my windoze last night and went to bed. Well, this morning, I come to my computer to a grub rescue cause of an unknown file system. What I did is went to our favorite friend google, began googling on how to fix it. Kept hitting road blocks and dead ends from what others have tried. (Been at it for bout 2 hrs). Then I began to realize that grub can't seem to figure out my filesystems. So I googled that into it and stumbled onto this: https://askubuntu.com/questions/142300/ ... rub-rescue And with in it, it had some instructions on how to get into the OS (didn't think nothing of it till after the last command)

Code: Select all

set root=(hd0,6)
set prefix=(hd0,6)/boot/grub
insmod normal
normal
Now once I was in Debian, I logged in and ran to a terminal and ran the update-grub comnand and it went like normal. I had to reboot to see if it worked, which it didn't. so I reran the commands from above and got back in. I then googled up update grub debian (yes, I know the command, but it failed). And saw a couple wiki's on grub 1 n 2. As I was reading on 2 at the bottom had some info about configuring an encrypted grub and on the last step it had install grub n update grub as a finisher. I for shits n giggles went to terminal and just punched in the command grub-install and it did its thing and then the update grub. Rebooted the system and whammo, its live and going again.

Now out of all this, I had to share that if anyone is using windows 10 as a side os of Debian, the latest os version update may screw with the grub so if you loose grub with unknown filesystem, run the above and then you should be golden again. And hopefully this will be use to someone who stumbles on the issue

TonyT

Re: Windoze's latest updates Kills Grub boot (Self Solve)

#2 Post by TonyT »

Best to disable windows update anyway.

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

Yes, on my dual boot system, a UEFI update or a major Win 10 update resets all my UEFI settings to factory default, so it just skips GRUB and boots straight into Windows. It's simple enough now to go into the UEFI settings and restore them to what I had before MS "fixed" them for me, restoring the GRUB boot, but I can imagine this could confound users that don't mess with that kind of stuff. I have to wonder if it's just ignorance or malice on the part of the MS updates, or some kind of bug.
MX Linux packager and developer

Segfault

#4 Post by Segfault »

Ignorance of course. They want to make sure it boots correctly after upgrade. Where correctly means ... you know what it means.

gordon24186

#5 Post by gordon24186 »

My major update killed grub to a point it didnt see my linux. Also, I have yet to figure the auto update to windows. Microsoft is making it where itsgonna happen whether we want to or not

TonyT

#6 Post by TonyT »

On windows vista, 7, 8, 10 > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services > set Windows Update to Stop + Disabled.