Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Canon PIXMA 5550 - scan/forward to PC

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
user2635

[Solved] Canon PIXMA 5550 - scan/forward to PC

#1 Post by user2635 »

From the default installation of Debian, it recognises the printer fine so I can do my print. The scanning also works if I manually scan from the PC.

The one which I can't figure out is the Scan>Forward to PC option (from the operation panel on the scanner). When I check the Printer for connected WiFi devices it's not able to detect my Debian machine. When I log into Windows,it finds the machine straight away so I'm able scan and successfully operate from the scanner. Has anyone has success?

Extra Info:
Acer aspire 5750g
Debian 9 64bit

Related Link:https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consume ... 20(64-bit). Also tried to install the driver but it fails to detect the printer on the network? Strange as it was able to install the printer by default on debian so I assume it can detect something.
Last edited by user2635 on 2017-08-26 14:10, edited 1 time in total.
phil the linux newbie
debian 9 stable since aug 2017
please teach me linux :)

Theuthr

Re: Canon PIXMA 5550 - scan/forward to PC

#2 Post by Theuthr »

The Canon Scangear driver for Linux does not support "Scan>Forward to PC option from the operation panel" so sadly it will never work.

It is best to create a desktop icon and run scan to PC from there. Even the very latest TS5050 will not scan to PC by using the printer front panel controls.

There is a nice gnome 48x48 device icon for a scanner, which is often found in many DT versions.

If you want to scan/print to or from Android to the printer use the Canon Selphy app. Hope this helps.

Edit added Android

user2635

Re: Canon PIXMA 5550 - scan/forward to PC

#3 Post by user2635 »

Wow Theuthr, I honestly did not realise someone had the same problem as me so I posted and prayed for a response!

that's a shame that we can't scan to pc from there, I guess I will have to do a desktop icon or something then!
phil the linux newbie

Theuthr

Re: [Solved] Canon PIXMA 5550 - scan/forward to PC

#4 Post by Theuthr »

If you don't do a desktop icon you will end up running scangear from a terminal, works but unnecessary.

If you are not sure about creating the icon, there is a long how-to by some guy at;-

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic. ... 250cccb226

Mint is really Debian underneath. :D

user2635

Re: [Solved] Canon PIXMA 5550 - scan/forward to PC

#5 Post by user2635 »

Theuthr wrote:If you don't do a desktop icon you will end up running scangear from a terminal, works but unnecessary.

If you are not sure about creating the icon, there is a long how-to by some guy at;-

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic. ... 250cccb226

Mint is really Debian underneath. :D
Got it, thanks for the extra tip!
phil the linux newbie