Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Removed xserver-xorg-input-libinput - can't login! SOLVED.

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
tedrogers

Removed xserver-xorg-input-libinput - can't login! SOLVED.

#1 Post by tedrogers »

Hi all,

I did a stupid! :cry:

I was trying to get my mouse acceleration working properly, and I followed some poor advice.

Basically, I uninstalled "xserver-xorg-input-libinput" and the associated dependencies, and now my keyboard doesn't operate and neither does the mouse at login. I only know the name of what I uninstalled; I don't recall the dependencies that were uninstalled with it. I only performed a 'remove', and let the configuration files for now, so they're still there.

Recovery mode is the same [keyboard inoperative!] (although I did think recovery mode might use a basic driver for keyboard, but alas no!).

How can I get out of this pickle please?

I'm in Ubuntu at the moment on the same machine onto which Debian is installed. This is a triple boot PC. This would be my preferred method of gaining access to fix it (if possible), although I'm happy to try anything, live USB, systemrescuecd etc.

Debian is my lightweight alternative, which I growing very fond of.

Please help.

Thanks.

EDIT: I should add it's a Lenovo ThinkPad T500 laptop, with no PS2 port.
Last edited by tedrogers on 2017-08-25 18:08, edited 3 times in total.

kedaha

Re: Uninstalled xserver-xorg-input-libinput - now can't logi

#2 Post by kedaha »

Hi there,
Assuming both the keyboard and mouse are USB, the first thing I'd try would be a PS/2_port keyboard; that is, if you, or someone you know, happens to have such an antiquated device laying around somewhere.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

tedrogers

Uninstalled xserver-xorg-input-libinput - now can't login!

#3 Post by tedrogers »

kedaha wrote:Hi there,
Assuming both the keyboard and mouse are USB, the first thing I'd try would be a PS/2_port keyboard; that is, if you, or someone you know, happens to have such an antiquated device laying around somewhere.
It's a Lenovo T500 laptop...so I guess the keyboard would be akin to USB, except directly connected to the mainboard. I don't have a PS2 keyboard anywhere, not since about y2k when it exploded at midnight.

Any further ideas? Can I plonk the right files in the right places on the Debian install via the Ubuntu or Windows installs?

Thanks.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

pylkko

#4 Post by pylkko »

Is there any remote use daemon running (ssh, vnc)?

What about single user mode?
https://wiki.debian.org/RunLevel

Live boot, then chroot and reinstall libinput

Bulkley

#5 Post by Bulkley »

When I do something really dumb I figure it's time to go for a walk or sit down with a large mug of coffee. Do whatever will take you mind off the problem. We all do these things. After doing enough of them we learn to do backups.

The chances are that your Debian is alive and well but without it's GUI. Now is the time to use basic command line instructions (CLI). When you boot up your Debian it is probably asking for your username and password. I would enter "root" (without the quotes) and your root password. Then do

apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-libinput
. You could probably get away with

apt-get install xorg
If that works exit root and log in as your user and do

startx
Let us know what happened.

kedaha

#6 Post by kedaha »

pylkko wrote:Live boot, then chroot and reinstall libinput
Just use your installation cdrom, dvd or usb drive and use "rescue mode." See the steps, for example in my post.
Solved.
DebianStable

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

tedrogers

#7 Post by tedrogers »

Bulkley wrote:When I do something really dumb I figure it's time to go for a walk or sit down with a large mug of coffee. Do whatever will take you mind off the problem. We all do these things. After doing enough of them we learn to do backups.

The chances are that your Debian is alive and well but without it's GUI. Now is the time to use basic command line instructions (CLI). When you boot up your Debian it is probably asking for your username and password. I would enter "root" (without the quotes) and your root password. Then do

apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-libinput
. You could probably get away with

apt-get install xorg
If that works exit root and log in as your user and do

startx
Let us know what happened.
No eth0, so I ran dhclient which found the network, and then reinstalled 'xserver-xorg-input-libinput'.

This was enough to get into X windows, and I am working from there.

All fixed!

Thanks.

Bulkley

#8 Post by Bulkley »

tedrogers wrote:No eth0, so I ran dhclient which found the network, and then reinstalled 'xserver-xorg-input-libinput'.

All fixed!

Thanks.
Super. Could you please add SOLVED to the subject line of your first post? As always, it might help someone else.

tedrogers

Uninstalled xserver-xorg-input-libinput - now can't login!

#9 Post by tedrogers »

Bulkley wrote:
tedrogers wrote:No eth0, so I ran dhclient which found the network, and then reinstalled 'xserver-xorg-input-libinput'.

All fixed!

Thanks.
Super. Could you please add SOLVED to the subject line of your first post? As always, it might help someone else.
Will do!

Can't see a marked as solved option, so done it old school.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk