Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[solved] virtualbox and usb

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
milomak

[solved] virtualbox and usb

#1 Post by milomak »

i seem to be missing something. I cannot get vb to see my usb (debian sid is the host, win 10)
installed
# dpkg -l | grep virtualbox
ii virtualbox 5.1.26-dfsg-2 amd64 x86 virtualization solution - base binaries
rc virtualbox-5.1 5.1.26-117224~Debian~stretch amd64 Oracle VM VirtualBox
ii virtualbox-dkms 5.1.26-dfsg-2 all x86 virtualization solution - kernel module sources for dkms
ii virtualbox-ext-pack 5.1.26-1 all extra capabilities for VirtualBox, downloader.
ii virtualbox-guest-additions-iso 5.1.26-1 all guest additions iso image for VirtualBox
ii virtualbox-guest-dkms 5.1.26-dfsg-2 all x86 virtualization solution - guest addition module source for dkms
ii virtualbox-guest-source 5.1.26-dfsg-2 all x86 virtualization solution - guest addition module source
ii virtualbox-guest-utils 5.1.26-dfsg-2 amd64 x86 virtualization solution - non-X11 guest utilities
ii virtualbox-qt 5.1.26-dfsg-2 amd64 x86 virtualization solution - Qt based user interface
ii virtualbox-source 5.1.26-dfsg-2 all x86 virtualization solution - kernel module source
the guest iso is there

Code: Select all

debian ~ # apt-file search VBoxGuestAdditions.iso
virtualbox-5.0: /usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso
virtualbox-5.1: /usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso
virtualbox-guest-additions-iso: /usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso
debian ~ # locate VBoxGuestAdditions.iso
/usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso
when I install the usb, the file manager picks it up. however virtualbox does not
Last edited by milomak on 2017-08-30 20:19, edited 1 time in total.
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

Dai_trying

Re: virtualbox and usb

#2 Post by Dai_trying »

You might need to add your user to the vboxusers group, and then reboot to ensure group policies are updated.

sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers $USER
Should do the trick...

Don't forget to reboot...

esalvesen

#3 Post by esalvesen »

Do You have installed virtualbox-ext-pack, You need it for USB.

acewiza

#4 Post by acewiza »

I have Win10 guest USB issues, as well. The Guest Additions-ExtPack-VBoxusers trilogy of prior gotchas does not seem to help this time around. I suspect Microsquish deviant behavior, but who really knows...?
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

srq2625

#5 Post by srq2625 »

For me, it's always been a multi-step process and I'm writing this from the POV of a clean install - inject yourself into the process at any point that seems to make sense to you:
  1. Install VB
  2. Install the VB extension pack
  3. Add myself to the vboxusers group and log out of the host (note: a reboot is NOT necessary) and log back in again.
  4. Run the command:

groups
    to be sure that I have, in fact, added myself to the group.
  5. In the VB manager, create the guest, making sure that USB settings in the VB manager for the guest OS are set correctly - I usually set them to USB 3.0
  6. Install the WinOS (my latest venture was with Win10)
  7. Restart and log into the guest
  8. From the Devices menu, "insert" the VB Guest Additions ISO
  9. Run (install) the VB Guest Additions appropriate for the guest OS
  10. Restart and log into the guest
  11. Insert the USB device in question
  12. Select the USB device in question from the "Devices" menu
At this point, your USB device should show up in your file system tool (Windows Explorer, Thunar, etc)

The above may be over-kill in some scenarios, but it's never failed and I've not seen any negatives (overhead, CPU load, etc).

acewiza

#6 Post by acewiza »

srq2625 wrote:For me, it's always been a multi-step process....
That's pretty much how I've been doing it for years across at least 2 or more versions of both Debian hosts and guest Windoze OS'es. But now I have a Win10 guest on Stretch that for some reason simply refuses to recognize any USB device, including flash drives, iPods, iPhones, nothing. It's not really a problem, because I have workarounds or other ways of doing things - just frustrating. The only thing I really need it for is networked security cam and DVR software which still works fine, so no big deal. Wah. :)
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

milomak

#7 Post by milomak »

Dai_trying wrote:You might need to add your user to the vboxusers group, and then reboot to ensure group policies are updated.

sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers $USER
Should do the trick...

Don't forget to reboot...
ah yes. i had unistalled virtualbox and didn't think of doing this for my user.
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid