Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

WiFi down by default for root user

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
MartinK

WiFi down by default for root user

#1 Post by MartinK »

I have done a fresh install of Stretch on a notebook PC with ethernet port and WiFi. When logged in with my normal user account everything works as expected.

I typically run on WiFi, ethernet disconnected.

If I log in as root the WiFi interface is down, "ip address show" tells me "state DOWN". (If connected, wired ethernet is up).

For system maintenance I can login as my regular user then "su" to to have WiFi enabled or login as root and bring up WiFi with the command;

Code: Select all

ip link set dev wlp2s0 up
Is this normal behaviour? Does root user get no WiFi by default?

GarryRicketson

Re: WiFi down by default for root user

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

I think so, it would not be a good idea to be using a wifi connection as root.

MartinK

#3 Post by MartinK »

Thanks, I will not try and 'fix' it.

My guess is many 'desktop' users do their software updates via WiFi, I certainly do.

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

Well, maybe I am misunderstanding the question or problem,
but yes, you normally can install packages using a wifi connection, That is how I install
my packages on my laptops,..
Are you saying you can not install or update packages using wifi ?

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

It's probably not seen as a big problem, since all root tasks can be done in a normal user session, as you note. Maybe they want to discourage any root sessions.
MX Linux packager and developer

MartinK

#6 Post by MartinK »

I can install packages using Wifi, by giving myself root privileges in the conventional ways.

I previously ran Jessie on this same PC. WiFi was up after logging in as root so the behaviour now is different. However, Jessie was an in situ upgrade from Wheezy and goodness knows how many forgotten tweaks I may have applied in the last few years. I did a fresh install of Stretch to tidy up what had become a mess.

I was surprised when "apt-get update" failed after login as root, traced to my having no WiFi connection. Simple answer, don't login as root, I just found it strange that functions were not immediately available to root. The opposite to typical problem scenarios.

GarryRicketson

#7 Post by GarryRicketson »

I can install packages using Wifi, by giving myself root privileges in the conventional ways.
Well that is usually the correct and best way to do things.