Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Sharing setup and script between machines

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
kjetilk

Sharing setup and script between machines

#1 Post by kjetilk »

So, I'm sure there is a pretty standard solution for this, since it is common in large office environments, but my google-fu is failing me.

The situation is simple: I have a few boxes in a relatively homogeneous enviroment, mostly Debian Stretch, but I have Mint install and a MythBuntu box, but I'd like a few things to behave the same on all and have a single point to update. That is, it'll be a few scripts, the emacs setup, the bash profile, etc.

I've been thinking that I put it on my fileserver as a separate share (possibly rsyncing to the laptop and the DMZ), and add a simple script to add the share to

Code: Select all

$PATH
in

/etc/profile.d/
, and similarly create a

/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.el
, or something like that.

Does this sound reasonable?

cronoik

Re: Sharing setup and script between machines

#2 Post by cronoik »

Have you already considered a config management system like salt [1] or all the others (Ansible, Puppet, Chef...) where I'm not aware of the features.

[1] https://saltstack.com/
Have a nice day!

kjetilk

Re: Sharing setup and script between machines

#3 Post by kjetilk »

Many thanks for the quick reply!

I have to admit that I haven't considered them, but they sound like massive overkill. I'm the only real user, though the rest of the family may benefit somewhat...