Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Problem with Wifi Hard Blocked Rf-kill

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Segfault

Re: Problem with Wifi Hard Blocked Rf-kill

#16 Post by Segfault »

Windows shuts down and disables WiFi. Ain't that great. Another reason not to buy anything with Windows preinstalled.

Segfault

#17 Post by Segfault »

I would boot Windows, make sure WiFi works and pull the battery. This won't give Windows the chance to disable it at shutdown. :twisted:

msnjuegos

#18 Post by msnjuegos »

Good idea! I will try and I hope that works :c

msnjuegos

#19 Post by msnjuegos »

Segfault wrote:I would boot Windows, make sure WiFi works and pull the battery. This won't give Windows the chance to disable it at shutdown. :twisted:
Sorry for delay in the answer. I tried that and didn't work, the wifi still down in Debian :/.

v&n

#20 Post by v&n »

Since the blacklisting didn't help, I suggest you remove it to let the drivers load again. Do the other hotkeys (e.g. Volume Up/Down key combination, or screen brightness etc.) work while the hp-wmi driver is blacklisted?

About the wifi - I remember having seen a setting in some old HP-Pavillion models whereby it disables the wifi when an ethernet connection is detected, though it could be turned off. Did you try the wifi while ethernet was disconnected? If not, please disconnect the ethernet cable > reboot > check wifi and retry toggling wifi switch (key combination) if needed.

Run "rfkill list all" and post its output if it is still disabled.
Also post the output of 'modinfo hp-wmi'.

smuggles

#21 Post by smuggles »

does your machine have a hardware on/off switch for wireless?

in my case doing "ip link set up wlan0" returns "not possible due to rf kill" until i enable wifi by pressing fn (function key) + F2 in my laptop
(not just for debian, but also for any other distro i've tried)
you say you have tried this, but maybe you didn't press the right combination of keys due to them having been configured differently than the wifi symbol you presumably have on the f12 might imply

in windows i don't have to do this either, so this case seems similar
(for my brother's laptop i have to do it even when using windows, however)

see if hotkey + f12 disables wifi while you're on windows, if it doesn't then there might be your problem