upgrade jessie to stretch

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

upgrade jessie to stretch

Postby guthrie » 2017-09-09 19:36

Just did an upgrade from Jessie to Stretch, everything seemed to go fine, but the instructions I used:
https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-upgrade- ... -9-stretch

said to then do a check;
Code: Select all
Once again check for obsolete packages so there are no surprises down the track:
# aptitude search '~o'

And while it gave no items before the dist-upgrade, not it gives 31 - not sure what this means, or what to do. Should I manually remove all of these?

aptitude search '~o'
i   gcc-4.8-base                                  - GCC, the GNU Compiler Collection (base package)         
i   gcc-4.9-base                                  - GCC, the GNU Compiler Collection (base package)         
i   libapt-inst1.5                                - deb package format runtime library                     
i   libapt-pkg4.12                                - package management runtime library                     
i   libboost-iostreams1.55.0                      - Boost.Iostreams Library                                 
i   libdns-export100                              - Exported DNS Shared Library                             
i   libgnutls-deb0-28                             - GNU TLS library - main runtime library                 
i   libhogweed2                                   - low level cryptographic library (public-key cryptos)   
i   libicu52                                      - International Components for Unicode                   
i   libirs-export91                               - Exported IRS Shared Library                             
i   libisc-export95                               - Exported ISC Shared Library                             
i   libisccfg-export90                            - Exported ISC CFG Shared Library                         
i   libjson-c2                                    - JSON manipulation library - shared library             
i   liblognorm1                                   - Log normalizing library                                 
i   libnettle4                                    - low level cryptographic library (symmetric and one-way c
i A libpng12-0                                    - PNG library - runtime                                   
i   libprocps3                                    - library for accessing process information from /proc   
i   libpsl0                                       - Library for Public Suffix List (shared libraries)       
i   libreadline6                                  - GNU readline and history libraries, run-time libraries 
i   libssl1.0.0                                   - Secure Sockets Layer toolkit - shared libraries         
i A libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0                             - Texture compression library for Mesa                   
i A libvpx1                                       - VP8 and VP9 video codec (shared library)               
i   libxtables10                                  - netfilter xtables library                               
i A linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64                    - Linux 3.16 for 64-bit PCs                               
i A php-horde-mongo                               - Horde Mongo Configuration                               
i A php5-apcu                                     - APC User Cache for PHP 5                               
i A php5-common                                   - Common files for packages built from the php5 source   
i A php5-gd                                       - GD module for php5                                     
i A php5-mongo                                    - MongoDB database driver                                 
i   python-reportbug                              - Python modules for interacting with bug tracking systems
i   python-support                                - automated rebuilding support for Python modules
guthrie

Re: upgrade jessie to stretch

Postby cronoik » 2017-09-09 19:51

These are all packages which where avaiable in Jessie but not in Stretch. When you don't know any of these packages, then you probably don't need them. None of them is required for a basic Stretch setup, but the only one who can say that for sure is you, because you know your setup.
Have a nice day!
cronoik

Postby 4D696B65 » 2017-09-09 19:53

You can remove those packages with (as root)
apt-get autoremove
4D696B65

Postby guthrie » 2017-09-09 20:05

root@alpha:# apt-get autoremove
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
guthrie

Postby guthrie » 2017-09-09 20:07

While I don't recognize any of them, Can I assume that "obsolete" means that none of the packages which I have installed depend on them?
guthrie

Postby 4D696B65 » 2017-09-09 22:04

guthrie wrote:While I don't recognize any of them, Can I assume that "obsolete" means that none of the packages which I have installed depend on them?

Correct

https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.html
4D696B65

Postby guthrie » 2017-09-09 23:04

Thanks a lot.
guthrie

Postby guthrie » 2017-09-10 16:27

Hmm, one of the packages listed: i A linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64
says that if I install it, it will break the system!
(So I didn't)
I hope none of the others were more silently deadly to remove.
guthrie

Postby 4D696B65 » 2017-09-10 16:34

That's an old kernel. Boot into the new 4.x kernel after you upgrade and run a root
apt autoremove
4D696B65

Postby guthrie » 2017-09-10 16:42

Ah, yes - makes sense, will do! Thanks.
guthrie

Return to System configuration