Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Display problems after Stretch upgrade

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Halcomp

Display problems after Stretch upgrade

#1 Post by Halcomp »

Since an in-place upgrade to Stretch, I've been having problems with the screen not refreshing properly. I've just lived with it for a while thinking it would get taken care of in the normal course of events, but that hasn't happened.

Sometimes when I launch a program (LibreOffice seems to be particularly vulnerable to this), the new window will flash rapidly for a second or two. It may or may not end up displaying properly. I may see portions of the new window, or none at all. Clicking around the screen will eventually result in the correct display, as will switching to a different virtual desktop and back.

Another symptom of what I expect is the same root problem involves windows not disappearing at all. I frequently run VNC through an xterm window. Sometimes after closing VNC the xterm window remains, even though the xterm process has terminated correctly. The "x" in the upper right corner even responds to clicks, but the window doesn't close since the xterm process isn't actually running.

The display is integrated Radeon:

$ lspci | grep Radeon
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS880 [Radeon HD 4290]

The driver is

$ modinfo radeon
filename: /lib/modules/4.9.0-3-amd64/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon.ko

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Daguhh

Re: Display problems after Stretch upgrade

#2 Post by Daguhh »

I'm quite new to linux, but I had to go through multiple reinstallation,
I had multiple display problems, thought it was driver problem
but it was missing dependencies of my environnement
Maybe try to look at it

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

What does

Code: Select all

apt policy firmware-amd-graphics
show on your system?
MX Linux packager and developer

Segfault

#4 Post by Segfault »

Since an in-place upgrade to Stretch, I've been having problems with the screen not refreshing properly.
This is absolutely mind-boggling. The whole Xorg initialization is written into Xorg log. Having problems, why not look at the log? I understand someone new to Linux does not know where to look, but people using Linux for years? It may not reflect firmware loading issues, but it certainly hints what's wrong. Next step would be looking at dmesg.

Halcomp

#5 Post by Halcomp »

$ apt policy firmware-amd-graphics
firmware-amd-graphics:
Installed: 20161130-3
Candidate: 20161130-3
Version table:
*** 20161130-3 500
500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch/non-free amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

OK, so not firmware-related.
MX Linux packager and developer

Halcomp

#7 Post by Halcomp »

I can eliminate the flicker problem by going into KDE system settings and unchecking "Enable compositor on startup" in Compositor Settings. For me that's an acceptable solution.

The ghost xterm windows remain, so that is apparently a different issue, one I can live with anyway.

Thanks to those who were interested in helping.