Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Boot Problem after Windows Update on dual-boot Debian/Window

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
lnovember

Boot Problem after Windows Update on dual-boot Debian/Window

#1 Post by lnovember »

Hi,

My computer has a Widows10/Debian Jessie dualboot, and before I installed Jessie, it was a Fedora 22. Even after I uninstalled fedora, It was still proposed in the grub.

A month ago, a Windows update made Debian's grub unaccessible. I found a way to access my Windows partition, and waited to have more time to take care of the problem.

Last week, I used a Ubuntu live-usb to use boot-repair and successfully recorvered the grub, until yesterday, when a new windows update broke everything again. I try to repair it again but was unsuccessful. I try the recommended boot repair and then I tried the modified one I used last week.

Now, I cannot access any of my partition because, the only grub I can access is the one from Fedora and even the Windows Boot refer to Fedora. The problem being

When I try boot repair again, the following error is raised : grub-efi-amd64-signed purge cancelled. Please report this message to boot.repair@gmail.com

I have the boot info file if needed

Please, can you help me. I'm computer science student and I need this computer to submit my work. I need both windows and debian to work.

Can resetting bios to constructor parameters help me ?
Does reinstalling Windows will solve my problem ?

Palmstroem

Re: Boot Problem after Windows Update on dual-boot Debian/Wi

#2 Post by Palmstroem »

It is a sad truth that Windoze often puts itself as the #1 and only OS on a system - very annoying and aggressive behaviour!

Your approach to use a live-usb to correct boot problems is good. However, GRUB configuration can be a bit tricky. If you don't want to read the docs and try out something (and learn something :D )

you might alternatively give rEFInd a try: http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/. It is a bootmanager which can be started from a live usb and which will find nearly every bootable OS including Windoze on your harddisk. Note however, that this only works on UEFI systems. Since you mentioned grub-efi-amd64 I assume you have one. Have a look in your system's BIOS. By the way, I would also recommend to disable Secure Boot if it is on.

lnovember

#3 Post by lnovember »

Hi,
first thank you for your answer.
I had already disabled secure boot. The problem I had seemed to be that the bootloader for both Debian and Windows was replaced by the fedora one. I successfully reinstalled The one from windows and came back to the system before the update. Now I can access my windows partition.
To do that I used a bootable usb key with windows on it and executed the boot repair command in the console furnished in the repair menu of windows.
I'm gonna try your solution to get Debian back. Thank you !

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by p.H »

Knowing a boot setup can have many variations, I do not trust automatic boot repair tools.
All I need is usually the Debian installer running in rescue mode. After the usual steps, I start a shell on the installed system root device. With an EFI setup, I mount /boot/efi and check the EFI boot entries with

Code: Select all

efibootmgr -v
Usually, reinstalling GRUB with

Code: Select all

grub-install
should put Debian's GRUB on top of the boot order.