Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Last update of Jesse broke networking [SOLVED]

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
62chevy

Last update of Jesse broke networking [SOLVED]

#1 Post by 62chevy »

During boot it said realtek (r8169) not loaded. On another computer I used aptitude download to get firware-realtek put it on a thumb drive and copied it to the hard drive. Using Synaptic to install the deb file but during reboot received the same message.

I have to missing something but can't seam to figure it out

Thanks for any help I can get.
Last edited by 62chevy on 2017-10-12 14:13, edited 1 time in total.
Debian Buster

ralph.ronnquist

Re: Last update of Jesse broke networking

#2 Post by ralph.ronnquist »

Maybe it didn't update your initrd... try running

Code: Select all

# update-initramfs -u

62chevy

#3 Post by 62chevy »

ralph.ronnquist wrote:Maybe it didn't update your initrd... try running

Code: Select all

# update-initramfs -u
sorry that didn't work. I have to wonder if network manager isn't the problem?
Debian Buster

Segfault

#4 Post by Segfault »

r8169 firmware is not required for your NIC to work. In fact, I'm not sure what gets better if you load it. Maybe some power management features.

Have you tried to load the module? Does lspci -k show it loaded?

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Well, you can always restore the system from your last backup to see if that fixes the situation. :twisted:

Or you can look in /var/log/apt/history.log to suss out what the guilty update might be. I don't recall any network-manager updates recently...the last for Jesse appears to be the -7 one from Tue, 31 Mar 2015 07:06:07 +0200
MX Linux packager and developer

62chevy

#6 Post by 62chevy »

Segfault wrote:r8169 firmware is not required for your NIC to work. In fact, I'm not sure what gets better if you load it. Maybe some power management features.

Have you tried to load the module? Does lspci -k show it loaded?
Yes the driver is loaded using the lspci -k command. It wasn't before but is now. Starting to think Network Manager is broke. Maybe wickd or a static IP, it's been years since I did everything static though.
Debian Buster

62chevy

#7 Post by 62chevy »

stevepusser wrote:Well, you can always restore the system from your last backup to see if that fixes the situation. :twisted:
I would but that is another thing that is broken. For some reason an old upgrade broke that too on my server and didn't catch it till now.
Or you can look in /var/log/apt/history.log to suss out what the guilty update might be. I don't recall any network-manager updates recently...the last for Jesse appears to be the -7 one from Tue, 31 Mar 2015 07:06:07 +0200
Got complacent and now it has come back to bite me you know where but you are right Network-Manager has no resent updates.
Debian Buster

62chevy

#8 Post by 62chevy »

OK got it fixed. After after loading drivers, disabling Network-Manager and setting up DHCP with DNS and then a static IP when DHCP didn't work. I dug though my spare parts box and found an old modem, installed it and boom it worked. Guessing the 8 year old motherboard is starting to say enough is enough so guess it's time to build the wife a new computer ... next year :lol:
Debian Buster