stretch vmlinuz and rsync

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

stretch vmlinuz and rsync

Postby tgmedia » 2017-10-11 22:02

Hi guys,

I've been trying to understand what has changed from Debian 8 to Debian 9 in regards to the vmlinuz file.

When I backup my VMs every night, I use rsync to copy the files to a backup server with rsync and since some files were big sparse files, I use the sparse flag (rsync -avlHS) to 'handle sparse files efficiently'.

When copying Debian 8 VMs, all is working fine when restoring them, however, when backing up Debian 9 VMs, it corrupts the vmlinuz file, making the servers unbootable due to

Code: Select all
Booting 'Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 4.9.0-3-amd64'

root  (hd1)
 Filesystem type is ext2fs, using whole disk
kernel  /boot/vmlinuz-4.9.0-3-amd64 root=/dev/xvda2 ro console=hvc0

Error 16: Inconsistent filesystem structure

Press any key to continue...

I know I can remove the sparse flag for rsync, but since I'd like to use this feature to increase the performance of it, I'd like to understand what happened / changed to the vmlinuz file and why it could break when rsyncing it using the above mentioned rsync flags.

Any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Thomas
tgmedia

Re: stretch vmlinuz and rsync

Postby p.H » 2017-10-13 17:37

What do you mean exactly by "backup my VMs" ?
Do you mean that you backup the virtual disk image files on the host ? Or do you mean something else ?

From the error message, I do no think that the vmlinuz file is specifically corrupted but the whole filesystem is in an inconsistent state. That can happen when you take a snapshot of a mounted filesystem. It is like removing the power of a running system.
p.H

Return to System configuration