Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

bluetooth stopped working after installing python3 [SOLVED]

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
ramack

bluetooth stopped working after installing python3 [SOLVED]

#1 Post by ramack »

My bluetooth had been working until I installed python3 packages yesterday. My guess is that it's a conflict from having python2 and python3 installed and now when starting the bluetooth, something is missing and it won't initialize. I have found https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-change-f ... bian-linux, but concerned that if I switch the default to python3 more things will break. I could apt-get purge or apt-get remove, but doing so will also now remove other packages that I need to keep installed.

$ uname -a
Linux RDesktopDeb 4.9.0-3-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.30-2+deb9u5 (2017-09-19) x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ python --version
Python 2.7.13

I've removed and installed bluez, bluetoothblueman bluetooth pulseaudio-module-bluetooth bluez-firmware bluez-tools.

I'm guessing that it's the python2 and python3 installation from keeping the bluez daemon from starting.

Code: Select all

$ sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth status
● bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)
Condition: start condition failed at Sat 2017-10-14 07:10:17 MDT; 1min 0s ago
     Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)
$ sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth start
[ ok ] Starting bluetooth (via systemctl): bluetooth.service.
$ sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth status
● bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)
Condition: start condition failed at Sat 2017-10-14 07:11:37 MDT; 5s ago
           └─ ConditionPathIsDirectory=/sys/class/bluetooth was not met
     Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)
Any ideas? Thanks.
homemade AMD64, Acer AspireOne 150, Asus eeePC 900, i386; Testing
i386,Dell Vostro 1000 AMD64, Dell Inspiron 1100; Sid
XFCE on all.

ramack

Re: bluetooth stopped working after installing python3 [SOLV

#2 Post by ramack »

I decided to try following the steps here.
https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-change-f ... bian-linux

No change.

This morning I ran
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

Today, dist-upgrade didn't show any packages being removed so I proceeded. Yesterday there were several package that would be removed, so I only updated. Two package upgraded through the dist-upgrade were kernel and kernel-headers. I rebooted after dist-upgrade was completed, however, still no bluetooth.

Running lsusb didn't show the usb BT adapter, so several times I removed and replaced it without it showing up. I removed the adapter and rebooted. Once on my desktop, I plugged the adapter back in, without it showing up still.

Searching a bit more, I found this thread/post: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 89#p558906 and rebooted. I removed the adapter and when I plugged it back in and ran lsusb the device showed up. And at that point bluetooth started working, so marking topic [SOLVED].
homemade AMD64, Acer AspireOne 150, Asus eeePC 900, i386; Testing
i386,Dell Vostro 1000 AMD64, Dell Inspiron 1100; Sid
XFCE on all.