Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved]No KernelDriver in Bumblebee.conf?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
linuxsat

[Solved]No KernelDriver in Bumblebee.conf?

#1 Post by linuxsat »

Hello,
I just perform the installation of bumblebee (nvidia version)on my Dell 5480 laptop. I'm on Stretch with kde.
I follow the wiki Since I had some issues in a near past, I tried

Code: Select all

optirun glxgears -info
before attempting to reboot my laptop. It doesen't work and return

[ERROR]You have not the permission to comunicate with bumblebee daemon. Try adding yourself to the bumblebee group.

[ERROR]could not connect to bumblebee daemon. Is it running?
Then I checked that I am in the bumblebee group, and that the bumblebee daemon is running. That is ok.

I look in the Bumblebee.conf file and the KerneDriver line is empty. So, I fear to reboot and get a blank screen.
How can I check that the installation of bumblebee is ok?
Last edited by linuxsat on 2017-11-21 07:13, edited 1 time in total.

Ardouos

Re: No KernelDriver in Bumblebee.conf?

#2 Post by Ardouos »

linuxsat wrote:Hello,
I just perform the installation of bumblebee (nvidia version)on my Dell 5480 laptop. I'm on Stretch with kde.
Please tell us what hardware you are using with your laptop? And what version of Debian.

If you are unsure. Please post back the output of:

lsb_release -a
linuxsat wrote: [ERROR]You have not the permission to comunicate with bumblebee daemon. Try adding yourself to the bumblebee group.
Even if you added yourself to the group, you will need to log out and into the account so the permissions can be applied. Normally if you install Debian through the repos with your account, it adds you into the group automatically.

Type in the terminal

groups
To check what groups you are currently in and post back the output.

You might need to change in your /etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf

driver=nvidia
and

KernelDriver=nvidia
You will probably also need to check that bumblebee is looking at your card as it's default is 1:00.00
post the output of:

lspci | grep "VGA"
If it matches then you will not need to change anything.
linuxsat wrote: I look in the Bumblebee.conf file and the KerneDriver line is empty. So, I fear to reboot and get a blank screen.
AFAIK that shouldnt happen as your laptop is using the intel driver for its primary driver. That should only happen if you have made the mistake of creating an xorg.conf file, hence why the guides tell you not to do it.

If you are uncomfortable with editing files without a graphical environment then I recommend a backup before making any changes.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

linuxsat

Re: No KernelDriver in Bumblebee.conf?

#3 Post by linuxsat »

Thanks for your answer,
Please tell us what hardware you are using with your laptop? And what version of Debian.
To be more precise: the Debian version is stretch 9.2, with kde desktiop. Nvidia card is a GeForce 930MX (64 bits).

I had to live my office and II finally reboot the machine. But have to mention for those who had the same
laptop (Dell 4580 with GeForce 930M) that the grub file should be modified if you are installing bumblebee
(otherwise the laptop will not boot:, as I experienced)
add the option

acpi_rev_override=5
in the line

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""
This is dicussed at the end of
https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/Bu ... issues/764

Now I will test if Bumblebee is working properly.