ppp0 doesn't stay connected on boot

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

Re: ppp0 doesn't stay connected on boot

Postby troffasky » 2019-10-11 14:41

It seems like the sequence of events is different when it works to when it doesn't. When it doesn't work, "pon provider" appears. When it does work, it doesn't. So ifup ppp0 doesn't seem to bring up the PPP interface in the same way that the boot sequence does. How can I replicate what the boot sequence does without rebooting the whole system? Would "pon provider" be enough?
troffasky

Postby troffasky » 2019-10-11 22:05

networking.service runs "ifup -a --read-environment". So I've tried stopping networking, deleting the bridge then running this. I get the output

Waiting for DAD... Timed out
ifup: failed to bring up br0
Plugin rp-pppoe.so loaded.

But everything is actually working. The exit state of ifup is 1, so systemd is being "clever" and assuming things are broken, so tries to undo everything and kills pppd even though it's br0 that has the "problem"? Totally guessing here...
troffasky

Postby troffasky » 2019-10-11 22:50

Added -v to ifup command, and I can see the last thing that happens before br0 "failed" is that it runs /lib/ifupdown/settle-dad.sh. I have tried commenting out that whole script and guess what? ppp0 NOW STAYS UP ON BOOT!
troffasky

Postby troffasky » 2019-10-12 21:05

Here's the real fix for this: "dad-attempts 0" in the inet6 stanza for br0. Watching the boot sequence I can see that the DAD attempt is sent before the port has transitioned to forwarding so the whole thing is pointless as the neighbour discovery would never leave the interface.
troffasky

Previous

Return to System configuration