Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to hide own IP adress

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
kepler19

How to hide own IP adress

#1 Post by kepler19 »

Hello all,

Need your advises, sorry if i am posting a wrong place, i would to hide my IP address on Debian linux. Is it possible and how?

Thanks in advanced. i searched here first but nothing found and decide to post here.
It's not the answers that matter, it's the questions.

kopper

Re: How to hide own IP adress

#2 Post by kopper »

This would maybe be General Discussion or Off-topic.

Before attempting to answer that, one would need to know who are you trying to hide it from and in what context. Essentially IP address is something that gives you the ability to connect to Internet so in many cases it cannot be hidden, at all or without very specialized setup. You can hide behind VPN, where your IP would be usually that of the VPN exit point or part of VPN's LAN address space. Your IP is still most likely in VPN logs, which I guess is fine if you trust your VPN provider (I wouldn't). You could also use Tor or something similar relying on peer-to-peer connectivity, but there are many issues to be considered and it's not 100% secure either. Nothing really is.

There are other options for different scenarios but for more in-depth analysis, your question is too broad.

EDIT: I was assuming that you try to hide it from external gazes. As to how to hide your IP from anyone who is using the box in question, I have no answers and I have very little reason to think it's worth it.
Debian 10.2 Stable with i3
Secure your stuff: Securing Debian Manual
Don't break your stuff: Source List Management DontBreakDebian

kepler19

#3 Post by kepler19 »

Thanks for replay, of course helping others always worth!

I would like to hide my IP because there are some website who have scripts made on JS of coin miners and when u run that sites that miners is mining from ur PC without knowing you. So i thought if i keep hide my IP i will be more safe from that criminals.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by p.H »

You think wrong. It won't help. The javascript code is downloaded and run by your browser when you visit these sites, regardless of what IP address you have.

kopper

#5 Post by kopper »

Hiding your IP is really not the solution for you. If you open and can connect to a web page, that means your browser uses the site resources regardless of your IP address. For this specific threat you should consider e.g. using browser add-ons that prevent running any JavaScript the site uses, unless you specifically allow it. These help you to mitigate other many kind of attacks as well.

Note: I'm not familiar with techniques behind browser mining, but since you mentioned JS-based attacks, here's a solution to mitigate such risks. This will not of course prevent anything if you let the site run the script. Also, add-ons like these break different functionalities for many legit websites, so you have to take some time to adjust the add-on settings based on your needs.

Good examples are NoScript or ScriptSafe for Firefox and Chrome respectively, although certainly they're not the only options. You should spend some time searching the security add-ons for the browser you're using.

kepler19

#6 Post by kepler19 »

Thanks for reply both of you. So how to protect from that? What is best way? ok i will search some add ons for my Mozila. mostly i am useing a Mozila.

reinob

#7 Post by reinob »

kepler19 wrote:Thanks for reply both of you. So how to protect from that? What is best way? ok i will search some add ons for my Mozila. mostly i am useing a Mozila.
uBlock origin should take care of that. at least most of the well-known ones are already blocked per default.

next time I suggest you ask whatever you want to achieve instead of (incorrectly) assuming that your problem is something else (IP address). think of all the coins you've mined while waiting for an answer :)

kopper

#8 Post by kopper »

Bulkley had an good list of essential browser add-ons to get you started.
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=135242

debiman

#9 Post by debiman »

kepler19 wrote:Thanks for reply both of you. So how to protect from that? What is best way? ok i will search some add ons for my Mozila. mostly i am useing a Mozila.
noscript

PeterB

#10 Post by PeterB »

You could try running the GRC "Shields UP!" test to find any open ports.
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Then take steps to close those ports (if any). If no ports are open, no-one can see you. But as others have said, this in itself will not protect you from sites you visit.

Regards,
Peter

kepler19

#11 Post by kepler19 »

Thanks for your advises. I add NoScripts and it blocks all movie portals :)))

debiman

#12 Post by debiman »

kepler19 wrote:Thanks for your advises. I add NoScripts and it blocks all movie portals :)))
you lose convenience, but you gain control.

selectively re-enable only the scripts you need to get it working.
some trial and error is required in the beginning. just don't get impatient and do NOT "Allow all this page".
after a while you get a feeling for what will make the site work, and it will go much quicker.