Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Private internet access app not launching

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
themagicm

Private internet access app not launching

#1 Post by themagicm »

[Deb 9 x86 64-bit]

I'm installing the Private Internet access app, v75 under Deb 9 but when I go to run it, the app exits and does not run.

strace on run.sh shows the following towards the end:

Code: Select all

-- SIGCHLD {si_signo=SIGCHLD, si_code=CLD_EXITED, si_pid=15382, si_uid=1000, si_status=0, si_utime=3, si_stime=3} ---
rt_sigreturn({mask=[]})                 = 15382
clone(child_stack=NULL, flags=CLONE_CHILD_CLEARTID|CLONE_CHILD_SETTID|SIGCHLD, child_tidptr=0x7fa03de659d0) = 15383
wait4(-1, pia_nw: no process found
kill: (15365): No such process
[{WIFEXITED(s) && WEXITSTATUS(s) == 0}], 0, NULL) = 15383
--- SIGCHLD {si_signo=SIGCHLD, si_code=CLD_EXITED, si_pid=15383, si_uid=1000, si_status=0, si_utime=12, si_stime=4} ---
rt_sigreturn({mask=[]})                 = 15383
read(10, "", 8192)                      = 0
exit_group(0)                           = ?
+++ exited with 0 +++
Thats a vanilla install of Deb 9. Whats interesting is that I have this running under Deb 9 but that version is an upgraded version from Deb 8.

Anyone got this thing to run? I know I can use OpenVPN but the app has features that openvpn does not.

Bulkley

Re: Private internet access app not launching

#2 Post by Bulkley »

As an aside, I thought I'd do a little searching for you so I found the Private Internet access app, v75 site. It gives an IP and ISP for me and says that I'm not protected. :lol: They have exit info from my VPN.

Unfortunately I ran into this PIA forum thread.
Unfortunately at this time our systems does not support your operating system, what I would suggest is that you install Openvpn. Here is a article from our support center.
That was a post from July. There is a link at the bottom from someone who got it running on Ubuntu. I suggest you follow the link and others on there. You have lots of company with this problem. My bet is someone has it fixed by now.

themagicm

#3 Post by themagicm »

Yes I found the same unhelpful information you posted and I also regurgitated the same. "use openvpn" which doesnt have features like I stated in the original post.

I'm already using OpenVPN on my pfSense box but I'd rather have a 'VPN kill switch' and some other small features it provides in the app. Maybe one day it will work... lol

themagicm

#4 Post by themagicm »

man..digging this one up from the grave. LOL

I've moved on from PIA and use Mullvad since PIA was acquired by a company with less than stellar privacy record.

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by wizard10000 »

I've been reasonably happy with expressvpn, which even has a .deb package :)

Support is a little spotty as when I did open a ticket with them every time I got a response it was from a different person and I ended up fixing the thing myself but the VPN works pretty well - at $13 a month it's not the cheapest but even during peak hours I'm getting about 75% of my available bandwidth and that ain't bad :)
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin