Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is it possible to disable network protocols,but keep drivers

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
bdgong

Is it possible to disable network protocols,but keep drivers

#1 Post by bdgong »

Hi there~I wanna do some stuff like as simple self-implementation of network protocols stack, and I use libpcap to catch and inject packet directly with network card driver. Now my question is, whether I can disable the network protocols stack, but keep network card drivers works well?

Appreciate any of your help:)
Simple is good. KISS

shep

Re: Is it possible to disable network protocols,but keep dri

#2 Post by shep »

There are both kernel and gnu userland components involved with networking. For example, the linux kernel has wireless drivers but wpa_supplicant is in userland. The kernel has Realtek NIC drivers but dhcp is in userland. Rather than disabling/removing network protocols just do not implement them.

In some ways, your question is like an answer from a Politician.

bdgong

Re: Is it possible to disable network protocols,but keep dri

#3 Post by bdgong »

Well, I am not familiar with GNU/Linux kernel, but, the network protocols such as ARP(IP) is implemented in kernel, isn't it ?
shep wrote:Rather than disabling/removing network protocols just do not implement them.
If it is, then I have to get the source code and compile it without network protocols part, there is no other options, as you said "do not implement them", do I get it?

shep wrote:In some ways, your question is like an answer from a Politician.
Emmm, I'm a student with poor English, :P
Simple is good. KISS