Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

gdebii can't find installed dependency

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
mountaineer

gdebii can't find installed dependency

#1 Post by mountaineer »

When I try to install the Brother printer driver dependencies, gdebi won't work. I used gdebi to install lesstif2 (actually 3 or 4 times). The synaptic package manager shows that lesstif2 is installed. Yet, when gdebi tries to install ia32-libs, it says that it can't because there is an unsolved dependency--namely lesstif2. This problem occurs up the chain of dependencies. How can gdebi be made to find installed packages? Can gdebi be made to find and install packages on its own when the packages are all on an ftp mirror? Is there a reasonable process to install old packages that are not in the Stretch package list?

stevepusser

Re: gdebii can't find installed dependency

#2 Post by stevepusser »

What architecture are you running?

What architecture of lesstiff2 did you install?

ia32-libs has been deprecated for quite some time. You may have more success with just a dummy ia32-libs package and using the modern multiarch instead.
MX Linux packager and developer

dcihon

#3 Post by dcihon »

I have a Brother Printer MFC-J4750DW.
Get the files from the Brother website and follow the instructions there for installing. Do not use Gdebi.
http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linux ... edirect=on

Dai_trying

#4 Post by Dai_trying »

I used the installer from the brother website and had my laser printer up and running in less than 5 minutes (after i installed cups) and it works great, but one thing I had to do was add the 32 bit architecture for apt to stop reporting an error. So you will likely need to run multi-arch (which isn't usually an issue) unless you are on a 32 bit system already, in that case you should have no issues.

mountaineer

#5 Post by mountaineer »

I'm using Debian 9 on a Dell laptop that has an Intel core i5 processor, I guess that is AMD64 architecture. I installed lesstiff22 for AMD64. Brother apparently hates linux, so they never update the linux printer drivers for 64 bit Debian systems. They still say that I need lib32stdc++ or ia32-libs installed before I can install the driver for an HL-L2320D printer on a Debian 64 bit system. Of course all of the deprecated deb packages are on http://ftp.us.debian.org/ websites so there is no way to install them with the Synaptic Package Manager, and I don't know how to install them with apt or dpkg after the packages are downloaded to my hard drive. Apparently my system has multiarch installed, but that doesn't help me if I cant get the installation apps to find the packages that I need to install.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, but I'm still stuck. Thank goodness the Brother driver installed on my older computer with Debian 8 so I do have printing capability. My apologies for misspelling gdebi, but it does make searching for this topic much easier.

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#6 Post by NFT5 »

mountaineer wrote: Of course all of the deprecated deb packages are on http://ftp.us.debian.org/ websites so there is no way to install them with the Synaptic Package Manager,
Did you add that repo to your sources list? Synaptic won't look there unless it's told that it can.

ticojohn

#7 Post by ticojohn »

NFT5 wrote:
mountaineer wrote: Of course all of the deprecated deb packages are on http://ftp.us.debian.org/ websites so there is no way to install them with the Synaptic Package Manager,
Did you add that repo to your sources list? Synaptic won't look there unless it's told that it can.
I just went through a similar situation to get my Canon Pixma iP1900 printer (32 bit drivers) to work on Stretch amd64.
Step 1: dpkg --add-architecture i386
Step 2: Added Wheezy repos having required sources to my sources list
Step 3: apt-get update (do NOT upgrade)
Step 4: Used Gdebi to install the Canon filters
Step 5: Commented out the added Wheezy repos in my sources list to prevent any possible future fubars
Step 6: apt-get clean to make sure the Wheezy repo was cleared
The printer works great on amd64
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

mountaineer

#8 Post by mountaineer »

Thank you ticojohn! I can print! I used the Brother uninstaller (which didn't keep the Brother printer from showing up when I tried to print a document). Then I added the Wheezy address in /etc/apt/sources.list and used the apt-get update command. A serious number of things happened--apparently 7 or so megabytes. Then I used the Brother printer installer. It added a new line to my printer list "HL-L2320D series" instead of just "HL-L2320" but it prints. I then put a hash-tag in front of the Wheezy repo. I don't know what apt-get clean did, but for some reason my root terminal won't come up when I click on its icon. No worries, I can live with that until I get it fixed. Thanks again.

ticojohn

#9 Post by ticojohn »

mountaineer wrote:Thank you ticojohn! .... No worries, I can live with that until I get it fixed. Thanks again.
:D If the printer works then I wouldn't bother with what the printer is called. If it ain't broke don't try to fix it.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.