Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

SMTP authentication on stretch

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
princeofnaxos

SMTP authentication on stretch

#1 Post by princeofnaxos »

Hi,

I run a webserver on stretch. From the website, we send emails with PHPMailer via Postfix. This works very fine without SMTP authentication.

We now need to send our mails with SMTP authentication. I installed sasl2 and configured Postfix, but it refuses to authenticate. I have been trying several configs for three days now, but without any luck.

In /etc/postfix/main.cf, I have added:
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_security_options = noanonymous
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
smtpd_sasl_local_domain = [servername].[mydomain]
smtpd_sasl_path = smtpd
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks permit_sasl_authenticated reject_unauth_destination

/etc/default/saslauthd:
START=yes
DESC="SASL Authentication Daemon"
NAME="saslauthd"
MECHANISMS="pam"
MECH_OPTIONS=""
THREADS=5
OPTIONS="-c -m /var/run/saslauthd"

I have a /usr/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf, but it is unclear to me if this file is read:
pwcheck_method: saslauthd 1
mech_list: plain login

I try to authenticate with LOGIN ($mail->AuthType('LOGIN')) with a user that I see in sasldblistuser2, but it just won't do it.

All docs I find on the net seem to handle about jessie and wheezy, and it doesn't match with stretch. I feel like something is off, or missing. It's unclear to me against which password db is matched.

Hope someone can help me.

Edwin