Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Anyone knowledgeable with KVM and customizing VM guests

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
the_holo

Anyone knowledgeable with KVM and customizing VM guests

#1 Post by the_holo »

Hi
I have been struggling for a solid week now to get a homelab virtualization server going with a newly purchased Ryzen system, and have had the most success with a Debian 9 install with KVM.
I purchased a Broadcom LSI SAS 9207-8i Host Bus Adapter with sas->sata cables, which I have setup the whole device passthough itself into a Windows 2008 VM, that will be a fileserver/dlna server.

I use the mainboards built in Sata ports for the SSD where debian 9 is installed.

The problem is in the windows guest, the LSI controller with all it's disk gets reported first (disk 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 etc) before the diskimage where I want the OS to be, and this naturally causes windows to spread out it's startfiles and bootsectors and whatnot on other disks while also failing to boot if i add or remove a disk in the controller.

This is not very flexible and so far the only option has been to reinstall the guest windows as soon as i change the disk configuration, so I have to ask, Is there a way to force the virtualmachine disk to be disk 0 in the guest?

I'm -not- very well traversed with linux so consider me a total noob!

/Holo

pcalvert

Re: Anyone knowledgeable with KVM and customizing VM guests

#2 Post by pcalvert »

Hi,

Try this option: "-hda <path-to-VM-disk-image>"

An example showing how I booted Windows XP:

Code: Select all

$ kvm -localtime -m 512 -hda WinXP.qcow2 -hdb FAT32-5GB.img
That command was executed from within the directory containing the disk image files.

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.