Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Dual booting

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Augiz

Dual booting

#1 Post by Augiz »

Hello,
So ive just installed debian next to windows 10 on my computer, and dual booting option is just not here.
Installation went smoothly, debian has its own disk partition, bios is on uefi (not legacy).
Ant cant get to boot debian nor uefi nor from legacy bios mode, its not there.
Windows disk partitioning tool shows that debians partition is 100% free space, but some 3rd party tool tells it other way around that its 100% used.
Any ideas what couldve happened?

regards, -augis.

edit: tried bcdedit from cmd to make debian an booting option also tried software called easyUEFI, windows boot manager just seems to eat up debian and debian boot setting is gone after reboot, also no luck booting to it either.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Dual booting

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I have an Compaq laptop that does exactly the same thing — if the Windows EFI loader (bootmgfw.efi) is present on the EFI system partition then that will be booted irrespective of any NVRAM entries.

I solve this by re-naming $ESP/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi to something else, copying my GNU/Linux .efi loader (usually GRUB but sometimes systemd-boot) to the Windows loader location (so the motherboard boots that automatically) and then I create a custom boot entry to chainload the re-named Microsoft bootloader.

It works but I think Windows will "reclaim" bootmgfw.efi after a major update thus requiring that I repeat the procedure... :roll:

hth
deadbang