Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

botched file transfer prevents thunar opening drive?[Solved]

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
tpprynn

botched file transfer prevents thunar opening drive?[Solved]

#1 Post by tpprynn »

This is something that's happened with both Debian 9.2 XFCE 64 bit and Ubuntu 16.04.3 with XFCE added.

I seemed to have a glitch moment when moving some folders from the drive with my OS on to a 2TB internal sata drive. Things froze, and Thunar in either OS now won't open the data drive. If I try to open it with PCMANFM in Debian things are fine, and the same goes for Nautilus using Ubuntu.

If I CD to the data drive and enter DIR, there is listed 'cat soup' with a backslash after the t in cat, and this was the name of the botched folder transfer. But I can't remove it. It says input output error. I've tried showing hidden files and I've tried opening Thunar with gksu or sudo and the cat soup file/ folder isn't visible in the file manager window though, as I say, it is listed in the terminal.

I am keen to stick with XFCE and Thunar.

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is installing Windows on another drive and seeing if windows will delete the file/ folder.

Basically it seems Thunar can't read the drive while the trace of this botched transfer is there. The fact that Nautilus and PCMANFM will open the drive shows the drive isn't damaged.

thanks for any help.
Last edited by tpprynn on 2017-11-28 21:41, edited 2 times in total.

tpprynn

Re: botched file transfer prevents thunar opening drive?

#2 Post by tpprynn »

This is what it says if I click on the shortcut in Thunar for the drive:

Error when getting information for file '/mnt/9ACA258FCA2568A9/cat soup': Input/output error.

bw123

#3 Post by bw123 »

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is installing Windows on another drive and seeing if windows will delete the file/ folder
So I would guess you're talking about errors on vfat or ntfs? You should be more specific with details, like fs type and size, etc. I have sometimes had decent results with dosfsck -vVr for vfat (FAT32).

I haven't used any of the ntfs tools for manipulating the fs, There should be man pages, try
$ apropos ntfs

If it's ntfs and has errors, I think you might be better off letting windows handle the issue.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

tpprynn

#4 Post by tpprynn »

Thanks. While waiting I did put W7 on another drive and saw the botched folder and file straight away. Weirdly it wouldn't erase first, using Windows Explorer, but after removing a file cat soup.sw, I think it was called, the next time I looked it had gone. All is well. Think I'll leave that Windows drive intact in case the issue recurs.

bw123

Re: botched file transfer prevents thunar opening drive?[Sol

#5 Post by bw123 »

That's good you fixed it up. if you followup with more details it might make the thread helpful for more people with a similar issue. Sounds like Thunar did the right thing by notifying you of fs errors while trying to mount.
I am keen to stick with XFCE and Thunar.
I have never had an error using ntfs-3g on linux, but if you want to stick with linux/xfce/thunar I would recommend using ext4 as filesystem for everything internal, and FAT32 for partitions on flash drives if you need to tranfer to a windwos machine.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

tpprynn

Re: botched file transfer prevents thunar opening drive?[Sol

#6 Post by tpprynn »

Yes it was an NTFS-formatted drive and I didn’t get to use a Linux tool on this occasion. Ntfs-3g is intalled. I might look or ask on the Xfce forum seeing as a Thunar quirk seems involved - something to do with its interaction with ntfs-3g?