Lost my recently updated Debian Stretch Kernel (4.9.0-3)

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

Lost my recently updated Debian Stretch Kernel (4.9.0-3)

Postby macx » 2017-11-29 05:12

Hello everyone,

I lost my current Debian Stretch(9.1) Kernel (4.9.0-3) by installing the second OS Kali Linux's grub, I need some help from the community.

Thanks in advance.

In summary what I did and how I ended up with my current Debian installation using a kernel version: 3.2.68-1+deb7u1 was that yesterday I installed in another hard-drive Kali Linux installation (my system is a dual boot system Debian and Kali Linux) went smooth without issues at all, but at the end of the process when choosing to install Grub(from the Kali linux setup process) I installed Kali's grub by mistake, and I think this was the thing that hide from me the previously updated Debian's kernel (4.9.0-3) (if it is around still), I just need to know how to install the new kernel for my debian's system(4.9.0-3) as I was using before installing Kali, and also if somebody knows, I would definitely like to know how this thing happened and why, if I just installed Kali's grub and booting from debian now was not the same, I have kernel 3.2.68 now(I think this kernel is from the time that Wheezy's Debian releases where happening) .

Thank you!
macx

Re: Lost my recently updated Debian Stretch Kernel (4.9.0-3)

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2017-11-29 06:38

Boot into stretch and reinstall and reconfigure GRUB from there.
"Only the mediocre are always at their best." — Jean Giraudoux
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby macx » 2017-11-29 15:51

Is reinstalling the grub(from Stretch) will give me my previous kernel (4.9.0-3)?

Do you know why this happen?

Thanks!
macx

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2017-11-29 19:10

macx wrote:Is reinstalling the grub(from Stretch) will give me my previous kernel (4.9.0-3)?

Yes.

To clarify: I mean install GRUB to the disk using the `grub-install` command (followed by `update-grub`) rather than just `apt install grub-whatever`

Do you know why this happen?

You may still find your original Debian stretch kernel in your current (Kali) boot menu — check in the "Advanced options" submenu.

More specifically, this happened because you are using a distribution that is intended for IT professionals with a very specific focus as if it were suitable as for general desktop usage, this is a silly thing to do (IMO).

If you want to play around with Kali then run it "live", as intended, it won't muck up your boot menu then ;)
"Only the mediocre are always at their best." — Jean Giraudoux
Head_on_a_Stick

Return to System configuration