Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

checking dependancies

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
ericg75

checking dependancies

#1 Post by ericg75 »

Hi,

I have just installed Debian Stretch (9) using the amd64 iso DVD-ROM. The pc is now up and running- but I would like to ask if there is a way to check my pc for installation status. I mean that some of the software packages I have installed in the past required "multi-arch" libs etc. Since I only had, and used the 1st (of 14) iso DVD-ROMs I'm feeling there are some important things that will turn up as missing. Also, when I run 'apt-get-update' all I see are references to that 1st DVD-ROM disk. I welcome any comments or suggestions. /E

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: checking dependancies

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I've never actually used the DVDs but I think the packages contained within are ordered according to popcon so the popular stuff is on the first few disks.
deadbang

bw123

#3 Post by bw123 »

Appendix A. Installation Howto  Next A.5. And finally… We hope that your Debian installation is pleasant and that you find Debian useful. You might want to read Chapter 8, Next Steps and Where to Go From Here.
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ ... 05.html.en
resigned by AI ChatGPT

kedaha

#4 Post by kedaha »

ericg75 wrote:Hi,
Also, when I run 'apt-get-update' all I see are references to that 1st DVD-ROM disk. I welcome any comments or suggestions. /E
Well, you might like to run ListInstalledPackages.
& you might also post what the following command in the terminal shows:
cat /etc/apt/sources.list
Then someone here can advise; if this configuration file isn't OK, you'll only be able to install from your DVD-ROM disk.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

bw123

#5 Post by bw123 »

ericg75 wrote:... I would like to ask if there is a way to check my pc for installation status. I mean that some of the software packages I have installed in the past required "multi-arch" libs etc.
apt-get has a 'check' command that might be what you are asking about. Also, usually any cli apt tool will complain if there is something wrong after just about any command you enter. If you try to install a package that needs multi-arch or other libs, then apt should complain if it can't find the dependencies, that's what apt is for.
resigned by AI ChatGPT