Kernel-header problem in VirtualBox install on stretch

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

Kernel-header problem in VirtualBox install on stretch

Postby t0b1 » 2017-12-12 09:54

I installed virtualbox-5.1 via Oracle's repository, as well as dkms, build-essential, linux-headers-amd46. I get
Running the following commands should set the system up correctly:

apt-get install linux-headers-4.12.0-1-amd64
(The last command may fail if your system is not fully updated.)
apt-get install linux-headers-amd64

There were problems setting up VirtualBox. To re-start the set-up process, run
/sbin/vboxconfig
as root.

Kernel version is 4.12.0-1-amd64, but the first suggested command installing linux-headers-4.12.0-1-amd64 can't find the package.

vbox-install.log shows
Uninstalling modules from DKMS
Attempting to install using DKMS

Creating symlink /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.40/source ->
/usr/src/vboxhost-5.0.40

DKMS: add completed.
Failed to install using DKMS, attempting to install without
Makefile:186: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again. Stop.
/tmp/vbox.0/Makefile.include.header:141: *** Error: unable to find the headers of the Linux kernel to build against. Specify KERN_VER=<version> (currently 4.12.0-1-amd64) and run Make again. Stop.
Makefile:187: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again. Stop.
Makefile:187: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again. Stop.

I have been trying to get this to work for some days now and depend on VB for my work. Any help much appreciated.
t0b1

Re: Kernel-header problem in VirtualBox install on stretch

Postby dilberts_left_nut » 2017-12-12 10:13

https://packages.debian.org/buster/linux-image-amd64

Testing isn't using that kernel any more.

Use stable for "work" machines.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...
dilberts_left_nut

Re: Kernel-header problem in VirtualBox install on stretch

Postby t0b1 » 2017-12-12 11:43

well yes, three lines and hours of random problem solving coming to an end. runs now, thanks a lot.
t0b1

Return to System configuration