Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Kernel-header problem in VirtualBox install on stretch

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
t0b1

Kernel-header problem in VirtualBox install on stretch

#1 Post by t0b1 »

I installed virtualbox-5.1 via Oracle's repository, as well as dkms, build-essential, linux-headers-amd46. I get
Running the following commands should set the system up correctly:

apt-get install linux-headers-4.12.0-1-amd64
(The last command may fail if your system is not fully updated.)
apt-get install linux-headers-amd64

There were problems setting up VirtualBox. To re-start the set-up process, run
/sbin/vboxconfig
as root.
Kernel version is 4.12.0-1-amd64, but the first suggested command installing linux-headers-4.12.0-1-amd64 can't find the package.

vbox-install.log shows
Uninstalling modules from DKMS
Attempting to install using DKMS

Creating symlink /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.40/source ->
/usr/src/vboxhost-5.0.40

DKMS: add completed.
Failed to install using DKMS, attempting to install without
Makefile:186: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again. Stop.
/tmp/vbox.0/Makefile.include.header:141: *** Error: unable to find the headers of the Linux kernel to build against. Specify KERN_VER=<version> (currently 4.12.0-1-amd64) and run Make again. Stop.
Makefile:187: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again. Stop.
Makefile:187: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again. Stop.
I have been trying to get this to work for some days now and depend on VB for my work. Any help much appreciated.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Kernel-header problem in VirtualBox install on stretch

#2 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

https://packages.debian.org/buster/linux-image-amd64

Testing isn't using that kernel any more.

Use stable for "work" machines.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

t0b1

Re: Kernel-header problem in VirtualBox install on stretch

#3 Post by t0b1 »

well yes, three lines and hours of random problem solving coming to an end. runs now, thanks a lot.