Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Want to remove both xscreensaver AND light-locker

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
dabeegmon1

Want to remove both xscreensaver AND light-locker

#1 Post by dabeegmon1 »

Greetings

I'm running virtualbox on Debian buster (10) and have a number of vms that I use for various tasks. Most often I'm using Debian stretch for most the vms but do have some other options.

A vm does NOT need to have a screen saver.
In fact having a screen saver means that the screen gets locked up when my monitors (from the host system) are put into first screensaver and then standby.
So I tried to use apt to remove (and purge) xscreensaver. System insists that I need to install light-locker.
Removed that one and then there is insistence (and it installs) xscreensaver. Circular argument time and I want neither!

I can get around things by killing the daemon but then I need to remember to do it and I really don't need to have the service so - - - -

how do I remove all screensaver services from debian stretch?

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Want to remove both xscreensaver AND light-locker

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

To have light-locker installed but not activated, see this guide:

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=2080

I feel your pain :mrgreen:
deadbang

dabeegmon1

#3 Post by dabeegmon1 »

Thanks - - -useful info.

But - - I still have a work around.

Any other ideas - - - please - - - somehow I was under the impression that I'm running the system - - - not Big Brother!

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

dabeegmon1 wrote:So I tried to use apt to remove (and purge) xscreensaver. System insists that I need to install light-locker.
You need to post the full, exact output from this command:

Code: Select all

aptitude purge -s xscreensaver light-locker
Press "n" when asked and keep going until there are no more options, thanks!

My recommendation for a solution would be to wipe your top-secret, mystery desktop environment and instead use a netinstall to build up a minimal system from scratch, I have no problem avoiding screenlocker & light-locker when using this method.
deadbang