Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] FFmpeg confusion

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
laxmidd50

[SOLVED] FFmpeg confusion

#1 Post by laxmidd50 »

Hello,
The system I am working with is Debian Jessie (cannot change for now).
I am trying to use a library that requires FFmpeg. When loading the .so it says:

Code: Select all

error while loading shared libraries: libswscale-ffmpeg.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
It also depends on libavcodec-ffmpeg56, libavformat-ffmpeg56, libswscale-ffmpeg3, and libavutil-ffmpeg54
I added jessie-backports to my sources.list, and installed ffmpeg. This gave me libavcodec.so.57, libavformat.so.57, libswscale.so.4, and libavutil.so.55. All of these versions are one version newer than what I need. Also, the packages don't end in -ffmpeg. I did try to make symbolic links like so:

libswscale-ffmpeg.so.3 -> libswscale.so.4
But that, predictably, didn't work.

/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libswscale-ffmpeg.so.3: version `LIBSWSCALE_FFMPEG_3' not found (required by /opt/bf/lib/libptgreyvideoencoder.so.1)
I then installed "libswscale3" from the repository and created a symbolic link:

sudo ln libswscale.so.3 libswscale-ffmpeg.so.3
With the same results:

/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libswscale-ffmpeg.so.3: version `LIBSWSCALE_FFMPEG_3' not found (required by /opt/bf/lib/libptgreyvideoencoder.so.1)
Though, I think this libswscale3 in the repo is not actually from ffmpeg, but libav?

I read through this thread: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... g+#p621320
But am still confused about this. Somebody mentioned snapshot.debian.org, but that is not the right way to do it and I should edit out the -ffmpeg dependencies, but I'm not sure how.
Any help on this would be appreciated, Thanks!
Last edited by laxmidd50 on 2017-12-28 15:10, edited 2 times in total.

peter_irich

Re: FFmpeg confusion

#2 Post by peter_irich »

Is libswscale-dev installed?

Peter.

laxmidd50

#3 Post by laxmidd50 »

Is libswscale-dev installed?
No. I just installed it, didn't help.

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

laxmidd50 wrote:I am trying to use a library that requires FFmpeg.
what is this mysterious library, how did it find its way onto your system, and how are you using it?

laxmidd50

#5 Post by laxmidd50 »

what is this mysterious library, how did it find its way onto your system, and how are you using it?
Yes sorry. https://www.ptgrey.com/spinnaker-sdk
It's a proprietary sdk for a camera. It's closed source, and I only have the .so's. It seems that they developed this for Ubuntu 16.04, so that is where the incompatibilities come from. I will attempt to contact them also, but I don't expect them to be helpful unfortunately. This is an existing system I'm writing software for which has to stay on Jessie.
I'm writing software to use the camera, but I can't even load the runtime dependencies right now.

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

You need a version of this backported for Jessie:

http://snapshot.debian.org/package/ffmp ... .6-1:2b:b3

or if that doesn't work, the ffmpeg version in Ubuntu 16.04 ported over to Jessie.

I'll see it I can easily set it up in an OBS Jessie repository...

Yeah, not that difficult. I'll port over the Ubuntu 16.04 ffmpeg to provide the exact match. Building now...
MX Linux packager and developer

laxmidd50

#7 Post by laxmidd50 »

Yes thank you, I think that makes sense. It needs more than just the libswscale-ffmpeg3 though. It also needs libavcodec-ffmpeg56, libavformat-ffmpeg56, and libavutil-ffmpeg54.
Edit: Just saw your edit, I think that would work, thanks!

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

laxmidd50 wrote:Yes thank you, I think that makes sense. It needs more than just the libswscale-ffmpeg3 though. It also needs libavcodec-ffmpeg56, libavformat-ffmpeg56, and libavutil-ffmpeg54.
Those will all get built from the Ubuntu source package and appear in the OBS repo when finished. The numbering scheme allows these to be added to your system without breaking other packages that depend on something like libavcodec55, for example.

We need to be grateful to SUSE for providing this free service; here's the current progress:

https://build.opensuse.org/project/show ... ert:ffmpeg

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

OK, 32-bit's done, so the instructions were generated. 64-bit should be done pretty soon.

To add the repo, run this command in a root terminal. Sudo users can become root with "sudo -i".

echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevepassert:/ffmpeg/Debian_8.0/ /' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ffmpeg.list
Then, as a normal user, download the repository key:

rm -f Release.key && wget -nv https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:stevepassert:ffmpeg/Debian_8.0/Release.key -O Release.key
Switch back to root in the terminal, then install the key and update your package database to see the new packages:

apt-key add - < Release.key
apt-get update

laxmidd50

#10 Post by laxmidd50 »

It worked perfectly, thank you for all your help!

For future deployment, should I copy these off to a local repository? I imagine this will never make it's way into an official jessie repo, correct?

stevepusser

Re: [SOLVED] FFmpeg confusion

#11 Post by stevepusser »

No, they'll never be in an official repo. Do you have all the debs already? Usually they are on your machine if you installed from my repo in /var/cache/apt/archives, but you can also just surf to the repo address in the instructions and manually download them, though ffmpeg generates a lot of packages for sure.