Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Problems with audio of videos in Debian

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
carlozfilipe

Problems with audio of videos in Debian

#1 Post by carlozfilipe »

Hello guys!
For some time now I have a problem with the audio of the videos in Debian and its derivatives like Ubuntu etc. Every time I'm watching any video on youtube, VLC player or any video playback program, the audio of the videos always give a little noise and blocking and I was never able to solve this problem. Does it happen to you too? Can anybody help me?

Capitain_Jack

Re: Problems with audio of videos in Debian

#2 Post by Capitain_Jack »

Here, take a look at this solution and the post mentioned there:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=135681
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein
"All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?"
Buddha

debiman

#3 Post by debiman »

^ yes, my first thought was of pulseaudio, i'm prettty sure i saw threads about weird crackling noises etc.
in the end it was one config setting that fixed it.

but your link, capitain jack, does not mention a clear solution?

carlozfilipe, you might want to search the forums here or on bunsenlabs.org for related problems.

Capitain_Jack

#4 Post by Capitain_Jack »

debiman wrote:but your link, capitain jack, does not mention a clear solution?
On that post:
Capitain_Jack wrote:I tryied to point you in the right direction here:
Capitain_Jack wrote:This "sounds" like a bitrate and resample problem, what configs you are using? High configuration can lead to this kind of problem, this may point you into the solution:
http://www.overclock.net/a/how-to-get-t ... pulseaudio
But here it goes a more detailed explain (made at facebook Debian page):
The thing is, your audio is not being properly or with quality being re-sampled. I guess enabling only a good re-sampler it's ok
in order to make it so, uncoment:
allow-module-loading = yes
resample-method = speex-float-1
avoid-resampling = false

And change the resample-method to a better one. Here it is a list:
https://linux.die.net/man/5/pulse-daemon.conf

The resample method is more of a user decision, depending on hardware, because a very high quality resampler will use more CPU.
The original one is ok, only need to change it's number from 1 to 3 (value 1 to 5, 5 is best quality) or change it to "src-sinc-best-quality" if you really want quality and have good hardware.
Another important thing I didn't mentioned is the bit rate and format, I would recommend "default-sample-rate=48000" for the bit rate, and "default-sample-format=s24le" for the sample format, so you have what windows call "DVD quality" audio.

Need to install libsamplerate.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein
"All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?"
Buddha