Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Double GRUB entries after applying Meltdown patch

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Zosimos

Double GRUB entries after applying Meltdown patch

#1 Post by Zosimos »

After downloading the latest kernel for my Debian 7 install, I rebooted and found TWO sets of entries. Identical copies of standard boot and recovery boot lines. Booting from the first one hangs the system. Booting from the second one works as normal. Is this patch to fix "Meltdown" so iffy that they installed an alternative kernel? (Which doesn't work on my system...) Or has something gone wrong with my setup?

bw123

Re: Double GRUB entries after applying Meltdown patch

#2 Post by bw123 »

Or has something gone wrong with my setup?
It's not clear from your post, you say "after downloading" you got this issue. You haven't included any information about what kernel you are using, or how you installed it. You didn't list the entries in grub other than the description 'standard boot' or recovery and on my setup I have neither.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Zosimos

#3 Post by Zosimos »

How many kernels could there be? This is Debian 7, "Wheezy", the one on long-term support, and I do not use any 'customized' kernels like Liquorix. So I have the latest kernel for Wheezy.

I used 'aptitude update' and then 'aptitude safe-upgrade' and got whatever the repository is sending out...

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

Zosimos wrote:How many kernels could there be? This is Debian 7, "Wheezy",
If you look here https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw ... lla-search you will see that there are quite a few, I counted thirteen pages of them.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Zosimos

#5 Post by Zosimos »

Is this specific enough?

uname -a
Linux thing2 3.2.0-4-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.2.96-2 i686 GNU/Linux

bw123

#6 Post by bw123 »

Zosimos wrote:Is this specific enough?

uname -a
Linux thing2 3.2.0-4-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.2.96-2 i686 GNU/Linux
If it gets you some help, or helps someone else, then I think that is fine. I have not seen a security advisory that mentions wheezy, that is why I asked about what kernel you downloaded. If you don;t know how to find the installed kernels on your machine, or don;t want to give the information, that is fine.

These are two advisories I have seen, one on Jan 4, and one today Jan 9
https://www.debian.org/security/2018/dsa-4082
https://www.debian.org/security/2018/dsa-4078

Neither mention a meltdown patch for wheezy. If you are using a newer repo on wheezy, or if there is still a backport repo then that would probably be relevant to your issue. I never used 'safe-upgrade' or commands like that, but if a backport repo is enabled, that might be a clue..

Just trying to help!

Good Luck!
resigned by AI ChatGPT

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

Unfortunately, the 32-bit kernels don't have the kpti Meltdown protection, either.
MX Linux packager and developer