Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

issue with ipw2200 install

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
dwbarker

issue with ipw2200 install

#1 Post by dwbarker »

i just installed debian 9.3 with gnome this morning and i'm having an issue with the wireless install.

everything goes ok until the user agreement comes up. the license agreement is opening in a terminal window. i can't do the agreement so of course it doesn't complete the install.

what should the user agreement be opening with and how do i change it?

this is still popping up when trying to install vlc. vlc doesn't finish as i haven't agreed to the license for the ipw firmware.
Last edited by dwbarker on 2018-01-15 14:58, edited 1 time in total.

bw123

Re: issue with ipw2200 install

#2 Post by bw123 »

That doesn't sound right. The wiki says ipw2200 is in the kernel and needs non-free firmware. Installing firmware pkg should not show you a user agreement. I guess it's possible, but I have never seen a "user agreement" on linux.

https://wiki.debian.org/ipw2200

If you are using some other driver or method of getting the firmware, then support should probably come frm the vendor providing the software.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Thorny

#3 Post by Thorny »

dwbarker wrote: i can't do the agreement so of course it doesn't complete the install.
This might be one of the times that a screenshot could be better than a description.

Can you tab to the "OK" or "I agree" or whatever element is shown for agreement in order to select it and then enter to accept?

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

the license agreement is opening in a terminal window. i can't do the agreement so of course it doesn't complete the install.
Why not ?, I have seen this on some packages when installing, but never had any problem using the tab key to select the "agree" "or "yes", as needed.
In some cases, just hitting 'enter', the agree or yes is all ready pre-selected.

Of course, when I am installing any package, I all ready am doing it in a terminal, I do not understand how one could be installing a app or package with out using the terminal.
by Thorny »This might be one of the times that a screenshot could be better than a description.
A picture is worth 1000 words, hopefully the OP knows enough basics to be able to make a screen shot, and use thumbnails, if not they need to start another topic, and maybe we can explain. OR:
Attachments, How to post a screen shot and use code boxes

bw123

#5 Post by bw123 »

tab key, hmmm yeah that does ring a bell. Maybe it's an html form and there is no text browser installed that supports tab key or frames... w3m and lynx are both missing from a default install now I believe.

?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Thorny

#6 Post by Thorny »

bw123 wrote:?
Well, I've never installed that firmware, don't have one of those network interfaces.

However, I made a WAG that it might be an ncurses interface in a terminal window. It was a long time ago but I remember how perplexed I was when I first saw one and didn't know what to do. As Garry stated, sometimes the cursor is on a default and then just an enter will do, but not always. I thought it might be easy for the OP to try.

dwbarker

#7 Post by dwbarker »

i kept having other issues as well so i wiped the drive to reload. fresh install shouldn't have had so many issues.

but as for the error, no i couldn't tab or click on to anything.

i've done the install previously with other versions and no issue.

bw123

#8 Post by bw123 »

dwbarker wrote:i kept having other issues as well so i wiped the drive to reload. fresh install shouldn't have had so many issues.

but as for the error, no i couldn't tab or click on to anything.

i've done the install previously with other versions and no issue.
Yeah, you're right. The wiki and the package page both mention a user agreement that you have to agree to. What a drag, things like this are why I like debian. When your freedoms are being violated it really stands out. You 'own' the device, but have to agree to some kind of contract to use it? ridiculous.

Not sure of a 'proper' fix, but I have been known to just extract firmware i need and put it in the right place and leave the package uninstalled.

Thanks for pointing this out I will definitely stay away from this device on linux.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

dwbarker

#9 Post by dwbarker »

fresh load working much better. no errors so far and package installed without issue.

went with kde this time and the vim editor had me scratching my head bit when trying to edit sources.list
haven't used vi in years.