Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Opera and the keyring [Solved]

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
tpprynn

Opera and the keyring [Solved]

#1 Post by tpprynn »

Is it possible to get the Opera browser (or presumably Chromium or Chrome) without having to deal with the Gnome Keyring, in Linux? I don't know if it's because some of my applications have involved Gnome dependencies maybe, but this keyring business is happening with Debian 9.3 Xfce, where Opera is my second browser and one where no logins are even used. I seem to remember at least one period where in my past of using Mint to could select some less secure path with Chrome/ Chromium but even then there'd be gripes. As Firefox, for example, doesn't use the keyring I'd hoped they'd get to doing away with the keyring anomaly for the Chromium-based browsers. (I'm guessing people without autologin set up don't encounter the keyring issue.) Living alone for two decades in a safe home the keyring faffing is for me too annoying and not a habit I'd want to let myself become inured to. Opera is otherwise a great, well-evolved, highly convenient thing on Linux and Windows so I would at least like to try and make it bend to me a bit.

Thanks.

Debian 9.3 Xcce 64 bits, 4gb, quad 3 ghz, HD 6670, sudo rather than su, updates applied.
Last edited by tpprynn on 2018-01-25 18:09, edited 1 time in total.

GarryRicketson

Re: Opera and the keyring

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

There seem to be quite a few interesting results here:
How to get rid of the Gnome Keyring

They do vary, but it seems it depends somewhat on exactly what the person desires,... I do not have this problem myself, Don't use 'sudo', Gnome is also not a part of my system, seems strange how it got into the XFCE , but I don't use those DE's either,... any way, I looked through some of the results for you, and
this pops up a few times as a possible solution, and also seems logical:
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1655397
mcduck>>(remove execute permission from /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-manager and log out and back again to see what works and what fails without it)
The response
hey mcduck, thank you for that very simple suggestion of changing
the permissions of /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon.
(there is no gnome-keyring-manager anywhere on the machine)

It worked!

The gnome-keyring-daemon process does not start up.

I am able to set up an Evolution email account without the
"Choose password for new keyring" dialog popping up after
entering my email password during setup and then
able to get my email.

I also am able to change my System -->Preferences-->RemoteDesktop
password without the same dialog popping up.

I have noticed an expected error in /var/log area:

auth.log: Dec 31 13:58:10 bee02 gdm-session-worker[1704]: gkr-pam: couldn't run gnome-keyring-daemon: Permission denied
auth.log: Dec 31 13:58:10 bee02 gdm-session-worker[1405]: gkr-pam: gnome-keyring-daemon didn't start properly properly

So nothing bad has happened, as of yet----snip----
I still think you should read some of the other results, and take into consideration all the possible solutions, some have consequences that might not be desirable. But it is up to you to read and research the information available, I am not going to do that for you.

I don't know about the Opera Browser, it is not available in the Debian repositories, and closed source,so who knows, it might need Gnome,and sudo, and other strange things to run and spy properly.
Seems like the people at the Opera Browser support site would know more about that.

tpprynn

#3 Post by tpprynn »

Great, thanks. The parts there about changing the permissions of the keyring manager seem promising at least.

This matter has been a bit of a Groundhog Day situation for years, so the reading done becomes invalid very often and we can end up at sea. After many years of using Linux and this forum also I'm certainly one to pursue my own independent efforts as far as I can, but sadly we end up at times not being able to see the wood for the trees because of the sheer amount of preserved outdated, contradictory information. Consulting people in the present is sometimes if not often the way to make shorter work of such a matter.

Thanks. I'll add [Solved] if applicable once I've processed what I need to.

(If you're reading,by the way, just out of interest which DE/ WM do you use personally?)

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

Ok, well hope fully that works for you,
(If you're reading,by the way, just out of interest which DE/ WM do you use personally?)
I use OpenBox, window manager,....and actually after Debian 7 , I had to start
using a different OS, OpenBsd was my choice, the newer versions of Debian just got to be much more then I really need, and to complicated for me, but even on my Debian 7 VM, the WM is openbox.
I also use some of the XFCE utilities, like XFCE4-terminal, Thunar, and Leafpad (LXDE utility,editor)

Browsers can be difficult, I have a hard time trusting any of them, years ago when Opera was still "free" and open source I did try it, but was not impressed,
lately Seamonkey, or Dillo is what I use, ......
We do have a member here, Bester69, and is a big fan of Opera Browser, I am kind of surprised they have not jumped in on this thread with some comment.

tpprynn

#5 Post by tpprynn »

"mcduck>>(remove execute permission from /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-manager and log out and back again to see what works and what fails without it) "

This worked, thankfully. And comically or otherwise some of the postings in your link were ones made by me over the years...

Thanks.

GarryRicketson

Re: Opera and the keyring [Solved]

#6 Post by GarryRicketson »

That is good, I kind of figured it would, and it is easy to change back later, if for some reason you need to, even just temporarily for some application.
One could even make a script to "toogle" it with some 1 word command.
And comically or otherwise some of the postings in your link were ones made by me over the years...
Yes, that is kind of ironic or funny, I have on occasion had that happen myself and found results that were tutorials I wrote years ago, no longer of much use now a days, but still come up in search results.

stevepusser

Re: Opera and the keyring [Solved]

#7 Post by stevepusser »

I learned to love the keyring on xfce in stretch, since I can store my long deb package signing password in it at the beginning of a session, and then it signs all my packages automatically. :D
MX Linux packager and developer