Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can I setup CUPS server to print while spooling?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
swampdog2002

Can I setup CUPS server to print while spooling?

#1 Post by swampdog2002 »

I have a Debian 9.0.3 server machine setup as a print server to Windows-based client computers. I have three HP M806 printers setup through CUPS that the Windows computers can map to. I am able to print through the Debian print server, however all jobs have to be entirely spooled first before the job begins to print. Previously, we had a Windows Server 2012 print server that allowed the jobs to print almost immediately after being sent to the printers, without having to wait for the job to spool completely first. I am looking to achieve similar results with the Debian printer server.

I have done some research, and have tried the following, all to no avail:
In the CUPS configuration at /etc/cups/printers.conf, have set up IPP printing, where the IP address of the printer is 192.168.1.50, and the queue name is HP05:

Code: Select all

DeviceURI ipp://192.168.1.50:631/printers/HP05/?waitprinter=false&waitjob=false
The parameters waitprinter=false and waitjob=false are supposed to achieve what I am trying to do, based on other info I found on the web and other posts in other forums. However, the jobs sent from the Windows clients still need to spool on the Debian server before any printing takes place. We have tried numerous drivers for the HP printers, such as PCL5 and PCL6, and looked at the configurations for each one, but nothing has stood out yet as to doing what we want it to do. Anyone have any suggestions that might help us here?

swampdog2002

Re: Can I setup CUPS server to print while spooling?

#3 Post by swampdog2002 »

Ok not a helpful reply at all~ I really need assistance here, so any helpful replies would be greatly appreciated.