Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to detect which hardware has non-free firmware available

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
CarterCox

How to detect which hardware has non-free firmware available

#1 Post by CarterCox »

Hi! I am using Debian 9.3 and I want to install al the non-free firmware available for my computer hardware. Is there any way to find which ones do I need? I have tried running

Code: Select all

apt search firmware
and manually located and installed "intel-microcode", but I believe there may be others (such as network adapters, sound cards, etc.) that may need firmware, so is how can I do this?

Thank you.

Thorny

Re: How to detect which hardware has non-free firmware avail

#2 Post by Thorny »

A lot of the time you will be able to find that in dmesg which is the log that is created when the system is enumerating the hardware during boot. Probably something like a message that firmware isn't found.

Of course, some piece of hardware that doesn't work is often a good indication too. ;-)

[edit] I guess I should also mention the Debian Wiki in case you aren't familiar with it..
https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware

There are some threads on this forum about the microcode fiasco, you might want to review them too just for fun.