Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian9 modprobe.d/Arch modconf hooks (PCI passthrough)

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Diogenes2025

Debian9 modprobe.d/Arch modconf hooks (PCI passthrough)

#1 Post by Diogenes2025 »

I am in the process of doing a PCI passthrough for Debian 9 (Stretch)

I've been relying heavily on Arch Linux PCI Passthrough via OVMF, as it provides more technical details than many other tutorials. Of course, I've been doing my best to alter the instructions when there is a difference between Arch Linux and Debian 9.

Unfortunately, there is one difference I can't work out:

In the Arch PCI passthrough instructions, under Isolating the GPU it says:
Also, ensure that the modconf hook is included in the HOOKS list of mkinitcpio.conf:
From what I can tell based on this, this, and this, it looks like what the Arch Linux modconf hook is doing, in Debian terms, is making sure the /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf file is being loaded at boot.

STRIKETHROUGH After reading this page in the Debian Kernel Handbook, it looks like I can force vfio to be loaded at boot by adding "vfio" to the /etc/modules file.

Is this correct?
END STRIKETHROUGH

EDIT: (Wasn't sure how to do a strikethrough on the text above...)

After looking things over again, it looks like the Arch Linux modconf hook is installing configuration files from /etc/modprobe.d at boot.

Am I understanding this correctly? In Debian 9, is it a good idea force the /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf file to load at boot?

If yes, can you give me a hint as to how to do it.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Debian9 modprobe.d/Arch modconf hooks (PCI passthrough)

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

/etc/mkinitcpio.conf controls the initramfs so force-loading the module will not be enough.

Try /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf instead.
deadbang