Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to enable iGLX for use with TurboVNC

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
cokicoke

How to enable iGLX for use with TurboVNC

#1 Post by cokicoke »

Hey,

I've been trying to get this setup startet for a few weeks now, but it just won't work properly.
I want to use a dedicated server for graphics rendering that I can access from all over the network. Therefore I need to get VirtualGL running via TurboVNC. I tried it with these to setups, but both get the same errors:

-Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
-Nvidia 9500 GT
-Debian Stretch 9.3

-Intel Xeon E5-1620
-Nvidia GTX 1080
-Ubuntu 16.04.3

I am using the non-free drivers on both systems, but changing it to nouveau doesn't seem to change anything.

So:
-I've installed TurboVNC and got it to run pretty easily, the performance is fine and I get a desktop which I can normally use for browsing etc.
-Then I installed and configured VirtualGL

The Problem now is, that if I try to run any Application via VNC, it can't use GLX. For example running "vglrun -d :1 glxinfo" ends up in with this:
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":1".
Applications like firefox just print out the warning but work fine.

Trying to open paraview, which is the application that this will be mostly used for, I get the same warnings and the application crashes after a few seconds.
I read somewhere that the xserver since version 1.17 or so doesn't allow indirect GLX anymore cause of some security issues with it. There should be a way to tell the xserver with "+igl" to enable this feature, but I don't really know where the xserver gets called. I didn't found anything in the vncserver skript for it.
Also setting the "IndirectGLX" flag in the xorg.conf doesn't change anything. I am pretty sure, starting a desktop over TurboVNC completely ignores the xorg.conf!?

Is there anyone having any idea on how to enable this indirect glx extension? I would be really thankful for any help. This just bothers me for to long now.

Best greetings